- Degree Level
- Some college
At Northern Plains Resource Council we believe that true prosperity begins with healthy land, water, and air. We believe that our families, farms, ranches, schools, businesses, governments, and communities thrive when we are good stewards of these resources. We believe that if we look beyond our fences, listen to one another, and keep our minds open, we will find creative solutions to secure a clean, healthful environment for all.
We are working toward a future where we live in harmony with nature, where our economy serves the people rather than the people serving the economy, where neighbors work side-by-side to build a world that lives up to our ideals of fairness, inclusion, and justice.
Our mission is to protect Montana’s greatest assets the quality of our natural resources and the ability of people to shape the public policies that affect our land, our water, and our lives so that we may pass them on, unimpaired, to future generations. (More information at www.northernplains.org).
Legislative Internship Summary: Northern Plains Resource Council is accepting applications for interns for our legislative program during the 2021 session of the Montana Legislature. Our legislative program works to advance a range of policy goals in Helena and works on issues including just transition to a clean energy economy and energy policy, landowner rights in the face of oil and gas development, and agriculture and natural resources.
The Legislative Intern is critical to the success of Northern Plains’ legislative program because the Legislative Intern will assist in the development of opportunities to engage every day Montanans in the decisions that impact their lives.
The Legislative intern will report directly to the Legislative Organizer.
Location: Helena, Montana
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Organizing and implementing the Northern Plains legislative phone trees.
- Tracking legislation and attending hearings as directed by the Legislative Organizer .
- Assisting in researching and writing factsheets and other materials for distribution to legislators and to Northern Plains members.
- Assisting the Legislative Organizer and other legislative staff with hosting Northern Plains Days of Action and Citizen Lobby Days in Helena including arranging logistics such as home stays for members, meals, and accommodations
- Preparing a weekly calendar of relevant events at the Capitol.
- Assisting in member turnout to key hearings.
- Updating Northern Plains’ website in relation to our legislative activities and bill positions.
- Assisting in writing weekly legislative bulletins.
- Other office duties as needed.
- Commitment to Northern Plains’ vision, values, and issues and the ability to get along well with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong working knowledge of current political trends and legislative events.
- Computer skills.
- Preferred: some experience working on a political campaign.