Director of Education, Marquis Studios
- Experience Level
Reports to: Executive Director
Direct Reports: None
Location: Marquis Studios’ office (DUMBO, Brooklyn) and in the field (New York City Schools)
ABOUT MARQUIS STUDIOS
Founded in 1977, our staff of 75 experienced Teaching Artists provides a full spectrum of arts experiences in over 170 schools in all 5 boroughs of NYC. Marquis Studios directly serves 40,000 children each year. These programs are designed to integrate arts activities with instruction in academic core subjects by making use of state and city standards. Our planning process is individualized for each residency, in-school or remotely, with the Teaching Artists and classroom Teachers meeting to discuss the educational goals of each class before the lesson plan is created. Not just a one-time program, Marquis Studios involves the entire school community through professional development for school staff and family workshops to create sustainable arts integration.
The Director of Education is responsible for the management, evaluation and quality of all Marquis Studios teaching procedures and educational materials. The Director of Education works closely with the Director of Programming to oversee a roster of 75 Teaching Artists (TA’s). The primary objective of the Director of Education is to maintain the organization’s standard of excellence, while ensuring that the TA’s are fully supported, trained, and supervised.
The Director of Education works with the Teaching Artists to develop enriching curriculums, addresses all TA curriculum concerns, including questions around age appropriate and engaging projects for youth and alignment with educational standards and best practices. They also support TA’s with the creation of collaborative and safe classroom environments within partnering schools and organizations.
The Director of Education is responsible for facilitating regular program visits (in-person or virtually) with TA’s, actively engaging, and participating in the classroom activities and providing constructive feedback to the Teaching Artist. These visits are one of many components of program evaluation that the Director of Education oversees to assess impact and success. The Director of Education provides leadership for the development and implementation of In-person and remote arts programming, as well as conducting periodic assessments of the current menu of programs.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Curriculum and Instruction
- Support Teaching Artists in creating online learning content.
- Review and approve residency unit plans to ensure alignment with New York State and City Education Department standards and Best Practices for Marquis Studios Online Learning.
- Responsible for developing new residency programming in conjunction with select staff members and Teaching Artists.
- Knowledge of evolving New York State Education Department standards and requirements for designing appropriate professional training programs and assessing training needs.
- Ensure that Teaching Artists are given access to excellent professional development in both skills-based and pedagogy-based subjects as they relate to arts education
- Keeping Teaching Artists informed of professional development opportunities in the NYC arts education community.
- Collaborating with the Director of Programming to plan, lead and implement diverse and creative professional development activities at twice-annual PD’s (Bear Mountain).
- Design and execute Marquis Studios’ monthly in-house professional development workshops/trainings in collaboration with Teaching Artists.
- Oversee, manage, and facilitate the annual Teaching Artist Training Program (TATI), a six-week training for arts educators working with students with special needs.
Program Quality Management
- Responsible for maintaining the quality of Marquis Studios residencies and keeping staff updated on trends in the arts education field.
- Evaluate remote learning content for quality and alignment to Marquis Studios Best Practices.
- Work with other members of the Instructional Design Team to evaluate current remote learning practices and potential areas for growth.
- Observe live remote teaching sessions and frequent site visits to partner schools to conduct participatory observations and document culminating events in support of Teaching Artist development and determine areas of need.
- Responsible for developing, disseminating, tracking, and reviewing mid-residency and post residency teaching artist evaluation surveys.
- Addressing TA curriculum concerns and challenges around student behavior and classroom management, Main Contact for TA mandated reporting and maintaining student safety protocol.
- Managing the Inclusion Program and any special programs (short-term or temporary grant-funded projects) at select schools.
- Attending select residency planning meetings as agreed upon with the Director of Programming
Operational Support & Other
- Creating content for annual pARTnership™ newsletters.
- Collaborating with the Director of Development on grant reporting for pARTnership™ schools and contributing to program reports in fulfillment of grant requirements.
- Recruiting & Interviewing Teaching Artists (TA’s) in collaboration with the Director of Programming.
- Liaison with The Arts and Education Roundtable, TAP, the Marquis Studios Teaching Artist Advisory Board
- Other responsibilities as specified to assist Marquis Studios in achieving its overall organization objectives.
IDEAL QUALITIES & SKILLSET
- Experience working with diverse learning populations and serving/advocating for students with disabilities.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Great Inter-personal, collaboration and teambuilding skills.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills and a keen eye for details.
- Willingness to learn new tools and programs for online learning. Experience with Google Classroom, Pear Deck and/or Screencastify is a plus.
- Familiarity with best practices in the field of online learning and experience creating online learning content. Experience with Learning Management Systems (LMS) is a plus.
CORE COMPETENCIES & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree (BA or BFA) or equivalent experience. Graduate degree a plus.
- At least 5 years of experience working in an Arts Education setting
- Comprehensive experience in a supervisory role. Experience working with and leading a team of arts educators in the NYC Arts Education community plus.
- Knowledge of New York City educational standards and demonstrated experience of current best practices in the field of Arts Education.
- Strong facilitation and communication skills (both written and verbal).
- NYS Mandated Reporter or willingness to complete training program.
- Ability to travel to multiple schools throughout NYC and pass a DOE Fingerprinting background check.
- Demonstrated competency standard office technology (Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Dropbox, Salesforce, etc.)
- Available to work occasional weekends and evenings.
- A positive outlook and a sense of humor!
SALARY: Commensurate with Experience
BENEFITS: Marquis Studios offers generous benefits, including health insurance, personal days, and vacation time as well as ample professional development opportunities, and a flexible working schedule.
APPLICATION DEADLINE & START DATE: Friday, November 6th, 2020. Interviewing priority will be given to candidates who apply by Friday, October 23rd. IMMEDIATE START.
Inquiries: Interested applicants should send a cover letter and résumé to Jobs@marquisstudios.org with the subject line “Director of Education”. No calls, please.
Marquis Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to seeking a diverse staff with respect to gender, age, race, ethnicity, national origin, class, marital status, educational background, religion, sexual orientation, and physical ability. All applicants are welcome.