Direct Care Staff (Floater)
SUMMARY: The Direct Care Staff member is responsible for, under general supervision, providing supervision and care of residents. The Direct Care Staff will deliver services and perform the duties required to maintain daily operations of a residential care program for children and youth.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Effectively watch, listen, engage, and monitor client interaction.
- Orient new residents to the program by explaining daily routines, expectations, and resident rights.
- Ensure each resident is assigned a room with adequate bedding and hygiene supplies, complete clothing inventory, and ensure each child has an adequate supply of seasonal clothing.
- Provide direct supervision and know where residents are at all times. Conduct and document fifteen minute bed checks during sleeping hours.
- Maintain a therapeutic, safe, and clean environment for residents and staff, including housekeeping, preparing and serving meals in lieu of a cook, motivating and engaging youth in completing daily routines and chores.
- Give instructions to youth regarding desirable health and personal habits.
- Provide praise, direction, and discipline to improve social skills and healthy choices.
- Use agency-approved crisis intervention techniques.
- Plan and lead recreational activities and participate or instruct youth games.
- Provide individual and group support to residents.
- Transport youth to school, designated appointments, and activities.
- Complete daily log entries, progress notes, incident reports, and other documentation consistently, accurately, and legible.
- Follow agency training and protocol regarding medication storage, dispensing, and documentation.
- Handle crisis calls, walk-in crisis situations, referrals, and admissions as needed.
- Attend all staff meetings and regular supervision.
- Complete annual training requirements to meet all governing body requirements.
- Assure confidentiality of information related to clients, personnel, and other information of confidential nature.
- Interact with clients and team members, at appropriate times, in a friendly, service-oriented manner.
- Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Advocate standards.
- Comply at all times with Advocates’ standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient operations.
- Maintain a friendly and warm demeanor at all times with both team members and clients.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Not Applicable
- Minimum of a High School Diploma or GED required.
- Two years experience working with youth.
- Current CPR/First-Aid Certification (or completed within 30 days of hire).
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check and drug screen.
- Basic Word Processing knowledge is preferred.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIORNMENT:
- Occasionally required to stand
- Occasionally required to walk
- Frequently required to sit
- Continually required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
- Continually required to talk or hear
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions
- While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
- The employee must occasionally lift and /or move more than 25 pounds / frequently lift and/or move up to 15pounds / continually lift and/or move up to 10 pounds
- Close vision; Distance vision; Color vision; Peripheral vision; Depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to drive a personal vehicle.