- Experience Level
About the Organization:
Bayshore Christian Ministries (BCM) is devoted to carrying out Jesus' instruction to share the gospel with all people and to love each other as He loves us. Our vision is that our alumni are active in their faith, filled with hope and purpose, possess marketable skills and give back to their communities. Since our founding 35 years ago, the mission of BCM has been to equip the youth of East Palo Alto and Belle Haven to grow spiritually, gain life skills and develop as leaders so they have hope and a future. BCM is a $1.2M non-profit serving around 250 mostly at-risk and low-income youth each year in afterschool and summer programs, using relational, wholistic and collaborative approaches to empower the next generation of community leaders.
Please see www.bayshore.org for more information on Bayshore Christian Ministries.
About the Position:
The BCM Board is seeking an experienced Christian leader to guide, manage and grow the organization as we adjust to the circumstances imposed by the novel coronavirus. The Executive Director will be the main representative of the organization in the community. They will be responsible for working with stakeholders to develop the strategic plan and broadly communicate BCM’s vision; to create and manage comprehensive fundraising efforts; to oversee BCM’s budget, operations and program plan; to provide leadership to the staff; and to supporting the Board.
The successful candidate will be an experienced leader with a high level of integrity who has led and managed a similar non-profit or ministry. They will be able to build a strong team and help staff remain focused on the vision and goals of the organization. They will have an extensive knowledge of youth development, sharing the Gospel and disciple making; have a successful track record of raising money and resources; have led organizational growth; and have experience working with volunteer boards.
To be considered, applications must include both a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in Bayshore Christian Ministries and why you think you are a good fit for this role. For more details, please refer to the end of the job description.
Vision & Strategy
• Oversee BCM at its most essential levels. Carry out the mission of BCM and the vision of its top leadership while adhering to defined organizational values. Develop and implement major strategies, including the formation of partnerships and collaborative efforts;
• Ensure that BCM has and follows its strategic plan, consistently operates according to the mission and makes timely progress towards its strategic goals;
• Work with executive team to evaluate programs and strategy, to assess impact and community needs, and to determine how to modify programs as required;
• Responsible to lead, develop, and guide BCM staff team; and
• Communicate the vision and strategic plans to all stakeholders.
Fundraising & Community Relations
• Create the fundraising and outreach plans for each operating year that grow BCM’s revenue and broaden the diversity and base of financial support;
• In partnership with the Development Officer, lead, coordinate and support all aspects of fundraising – personal appointments, church and foundation presentations, grant applications, writing solicitation letters, fund raising events, etc.;
• Serve as the lead in identifying, cultivating and stewarding major donors and funders to BCM;
• Produce and present monthly development reports to the Board’s development committee;
• Seek out and develop strategic partnerships that will bring program innovations, funding and other resources to BCM;
• Promote BCM in our community and among local organizational partners. This includes speaking in a variety of settings and representing the organization at public events; and
• Develop and utilize collegial networks within local agencies, area churches, and similar ministries nationwide.
Operations & Administration
• Serve as the final authority on all matters of ongoing operations. This covers policy, operations, programs, personnel, budget and finance.
• Oversee the timely creation of the annual organizational budget and ensure that operating revenue and expenses meet budget targets;
• Develop and implement a plan to ensure long-term financial sustainability of the organization;
• Review monthly financial reports, properly prepare for annual audits and develop strategies to further improve operations;
• Work with the Operations Manager to ensure accounting and human resources policies follow best practices;
• Foster a culture within the staff that promotes trust and teamwork, and that reflects BCM values as we demonstrate care and compassion to all we serve, all volunteers and all employees;
• Provide leadership to all staff; and
• Hire and supervise executive staff and others who report directly to the ED.
Governance & Board Support
• Serve as the primary liaison between Staff and Board of Directors;
• Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board;
• Staff and support Board committees;
• Coordinate strategic planning and annual budgeting process in collaboration with the Board and associated committees; and
• Work with the Board Executive committee to plan and prepare for the monthly Board meetings and annual retreats.
• Agreement with Statement of Faith and commitment to the mission of BCM
• Ability to discern and communicate God’s direction for organization and individuals
• Extensive ministry experience, including a focus on urban and multi-ethnic ministries
• High ethical standard and values
• Minimum 7 years management experience in a senior leadership position with demonstrated success in leading staff, developing and managing budgets and reporting to a board
• Strategic thinker and planner; ability to envision and successfully communicate the organization’s strategic future to all stakeholders
• Proven ability to raise financial support, to set and implement fundraising strategy, and to cultivate major gifts and new donors
• Experience in fiscal oversight, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting
• Persuasive and passionate communicator with strong written and verbal skills
• Comfort in managing various tasks simultaneously, ranging from the strategic to the administrative, with proven ability to synthesize, prioritize and act
• Strong attention to detail, excellent organizational skills and an ability to work well under pressure
• Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy, emotional intelligence and excellent interpersonal skills
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in related field preferred
• Experience working with urban/at-risk youth
• Experience working in a nonprofit
• Strong familiarity with the East Palo Alto and Belle Haven communities
• Established networks with local churches, nonprofits and foundations is a plus
• Demonstrated success in leading corporate culture shift
• Bilingual (Spanish)
In order to reflect the community that we serve, Latino, Pacific Islander, and African-American candidates are encouraged to apply To Apply: Email resume with cover letter to the Executive Director Search Committee at EDsearch@bayshore.org. Attachments must be in .doc or .pdf format only; do not include resume in body of email. In your cover letter, please explain your interest in Bayshore Christian Ministries and why you think you are a good fit for this role. Only resumes with cover letters will be considered. No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, but preferential review will be given to candidates submitting their application by October 28, 2020.