Development and Communications Manager
- Experience Level
Development and Communications Manager
Position Overview: Reporting to the President and CEO and working closely with the entire Ferst Readers’ (Ferst Foundation for Childhood Literacy) staff team, this role will coordinate the development and communication efforts for the organization. The Development and Communications Manager will support the growth and impact of the organization and work to leverage resources, develop systems, and advance communications beyond the current Ferst Readers’ network. Position will support the CEO and Board in achieving annual fundraising objectives for Ferst Readers. Candidates should have experience in fundraising (including grant writing), communications, design, and working with databases. The ideal candidate also has experience with and passion for working with children and literacy. Candidates should demonstrate the ability to be detail-oriented, organized, exhibit excellent writing skills and able to manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
Collaborate with the President & CEO annual fundraising strategy, including donor stewardship, grant proposals, fundraising events, donor appeals, peer-to-peer campaigns, and data collection.
- Develop strategies and schedules for donor outreach, communication, cultivation, and stewardship, with a focus on relationship building for long-term organizational support.
- Collaborate with the President & CEO to cultivate relationships with current and prospective donors, local businesses, and community partners. Solicit both in-kind and monetary support for Ferst Readers, when appropriate.
- Write and submit winning grant proposals.
- Research foundation and corporate grant prospects to determine mutual connections and feasibility, arrange connectional meetings for organizational leadership, and write compelling proposals for matching prospects.
- Track proposals and send impact reports to funders upon project completion.
- Oversee the gift acknowledgement process, ensure all gifts and pledges are stewarded in a timely fashion, generating pledge reminders, communicating and coordinating with the Director of Finance for processing donations.
- Create fundraising appeal and peer-to-peer campaign materials (including print media, online campaigns, and email solicitations), managing appeal’s distribution, analyzing results, and making recommendations to increase reach, participation, and gift level.
- Use data to inform development and communications processes, present data to relevant parties to drive decision making.
- Manage all aspects of the donor acquisition database. Ensure database entry and management of donor/grant information, notes, and opportunities. Update all constituent information, produce mailing labels and lists, create and update donor reports.
Marketing and Communications
Align communications with development strategy to deepen awareness and understanding of the Ferst Readers’ mission and story.
- Leverage communications to build support and community both internally and externally.
- Draft content for Ferst Readers’ website, print and digital publications and social networks (Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
- Capture and curate impactful photos, videos, and other relevant materials that demonstrate Ferst Readers’ story.
- Write and edit print and digital publications.
- Create presentations, videos, brochures, annual reports, event materials, and other special communications.
- Provide communications support to program as needed, including editing and compiling marketing materials to publicize program-wide events and activities.
Qualifications, Experience and Capabilities:
- 4-year College degree
- 2+ years of experience in a fundraising & communications role
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Submit Resume and Cover Letter to: email@example.com