4 days left
- Degree Level
The Communications Manager is responsible for managing the design and development of publications, social media and regional outreach communications for Our City Forest (OCF). This position is pivotal to OCF for reaching thousands of residents, students, workers and volunteers annually to 1) increase public awareness of the importance of trees, and 2) engage people from all walks of life in growing and stewarding a healthy urban forest. This position calls for a talented and creative individual with excellent writing and graphic design skills, and who is passionate about environmental causes, including the mission of Our City Forest. www.ourcityforest.org
1. Publications/Graphic Design Support
Develops, designs and prints publications, including newsletters, brochures, and flyers, as approved and prioritized by the supervisor.
2. Website & Social Media
Assists OCF with developing an active and relevant social media presence, expands and maintains the OCF website, assures donors are acknowledged, and promotes OCF events.
3. Outreach & Education
Provides support such as developing/updating handouts, table displays, and workshop training materials, as well as developing targeted marketing materials to promote special initiatives.
4. Event Calendar
Helps to organize and promote OCF events via an online events calendar.
5. Online Streaming Platforms
Ensures access to appropriate platforms for OCF meetings, training and events; supports staff in designing and preparing online training and meeting materials.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of 2 years full-time professional experience in communications and design.
- Must know InDesign, Photoshop, Squarespace, Google apps, Microsoft Office Suite
- Must be competent with social media platforms including FB, Instagram, and Twitter
- Must possess a current California driver’s license
- Must be flexible to assist with occasional evening and Saturday events
- Experience developing multilingual materials
- Experience working with an environmental agency or community nonprofit
- Ability to read and write Vietnamese, Chinese and/or Spanish, in addition to English
- Experience working with diverse community groups
- News media experience
- Filemaker Pro experience
- Salary shall be competitive within the small nonprofit market.
- Starting salary shall be based on relevant experience
- Position is full-time, 40 hours weekly. Remote hours are available.
- Full medical benefits are available.
Application Process - please read carefully!
- Please email resumé and cover letter to
- Address cover letter to Rhonda Berry, Our City Forest, 646 N. King Rd., San José, CA 95133
- Required in cover letter: 1) approximate available date and 2) minimum salary request
- No phone calls please
- Applications will continue to be reviewed until position is filled
- Position is available immediately
- Applicant must provide 3 professional references at time of application (references will not be contacted without prior permission from the applicant)
- Applicants selected for an interview will be asked to share a professional portfolio of publications and other relevant work
More About Our City Forest
OCF was founded in 1994 to engage Silicon Valley residents from all walks of life in understanding, growing, caring for, and protecting our urban forest. OCF operates several key community-based programs: tree planting, tree stewardship, lawn conversions, community nursery, volunteer engagement, and a service learning/job training program. These programs are managed by 6 staff members plus 3 internal support staff, and implemented with the assistance of OCF’s 30 full-time AmeriCorps service members. Please visit www.ourcityforest.org to learn more.