Accounting and Finance Manager
4 days left
- Experience Level
Position Title: Accounting and Finance Manager
Reports To: Controller
Location: New York City HQ, Midtown Manhattan, the possibility of some remote working
The Open Space Institute (OSI), with a staff of 55, protects scenic, natural and historic landscapes to ensure public enjoyment, conserve habitats, and strengthen communities. OSI achieves its goals through land acquisition, conservation easements, loan and grant programs, creative partnerships, and analytical research.
The Accounting and Finance Manager assists the Controller with responsibilities related to the balance sheet, including investment accounting, banking activities, loans receivable and payable; the statement of activities, including contributions revenue, funds tracking and expense allocations; and financial reporting including audit preparation, IRS Form 990 preparation and assistance with Board of Trustees reporting. The Accounting and Finance Manager ensures that activities are recorded accurately and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and IRS regulations. Assist in the administration of OSI’s financial system (Sage Intacct) including chart of accounts maintenance and reporting. The position reports to the Controller and supervises the Accounts Payable & Cash Receipts Administrator.
- Balance Sheet
- Manages investment accounting process, including tracking portfolio investments Handles banking administration, oversees bank reconciliations and monitors bank balances and monthly revenue reconciliations.
- Oversees loan receivable and payable portfolios
- Statement of Activities
- Oversees accounting for payroll, including allocations to various departments and funding sources
- Ensures recording is accurate and timely and that coding aligns with any associated budgets and grants.
- Monthly Close: With the Controller, ensures that the monthly closing process is completed in a timely manner and with appropriate review.
- Assists Controller with the tracking of restricted funds and preparation of monthly program reports.
- Board and Committee Reports: Prepare financial reports for Board and Committee meetings.
- Audit and IRS Form 990
- Perform audit preparation work including confirmations, accounting system information, journals, etc.
- Assist Controller with audit schedules.
- With Controller, respond to onsite team’s questions during field work and post-audit
- Maintain accounting processes and procedures narratives.
- Assist in the administration of the Sage Intacct (OSI’s general ledger system) including chart of accounts maintenance and reporting.
- Prepare minutes for Audit, Finance or Investment Committee as needed.
- Participate in ad hoc projects.
REQUIRED SKILLS/CORE COMPETENCIES
- Intermediate to advanced skills with Microsoft Excel and Accounting Software (Sage Intacct a plus)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to discreetly deal with difficult and sensitive issues and exercise sound judgement
- Ability to work cordially and professionally with staff at all levels
- Detail-oriented, efficient, organized and professional
- Self-starter who can work independently and as part of a team
- Bachelor’s degree or associate degree in a business-related field, accounting preferred (or work experience equivalent)
- 5+ years accounting experience required
- Non-profit accounting and audit experience are desirable
Frequently sits for long periods of time
Frequently speaks, reads, writes, and uses a computer keyboard
May require occasional standing, walking, lifting, stooping, bending, moving files
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties as assigned.
HOW TO APPLY
Email your cover letter (including your salary expectations) and resume to email@example.com. In your cover letter, describe software tools in Excel or otherwise, that you are currently using to process complex financial transactions and reports. We would like to get an idea of your software aptitude. Put “Accounting and Finance Manager” and where you saw the job posting in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through November 30, 2020. No phone calls, please.
Annualized salary range is $70-80K, commensurate with experience. OSI has a generous benefits package. This is a fulltime position. For more information, visit https://www.openspaceinstitute.org/careers
OSI is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We recognize that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of all genders, diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and cultures. We encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status, and any other status protected by law.