Chief Advancement Officer - Power of Two
1 day left
- Position Type
- Full Time
About the Organization:
Our mission at Power of Two is to nurture the inherent potential in every child and family—equipping them with the tools to transform their own lives and strengthen their communities. We take a strengths-based approach to our work with families—93% of whom identify as people of color—to foster interpersonal relationships and resilience in communities that face prolonged exposure to toxic stress.
In the New York City neighborhoods we serve—Brownsville, Brooklyn, and the South Bronx—systemic racism, income inequality, deficits in the education system, and a rigid class structure isolate parents into cycles of trauma. Nurturing and responsive parenting is particularly difficult for caregivers who face these multiple stressors, which can leave them little emotional capacity to focus on children in a sensitive way. For their young children, exposure to stress can lead to disorganized and insecure attachments to their caregivers, dysregulated stress system functioning, and emerging behavior problems—issues that place children at risk for mental health disorders, physical health problems, and gaps in achievement later in life.
Power of Two was created to help families heal from the root causes of trauma, to build resilience, and to help children thrive. We owe much of our success to our meaningful and on-going consultations with the communities we serve and the integration of community perceptions and experiences into our program implementation model. Since our launch, we have served over 2,000 families across NYC, successfully helping families heal from trauma, increasing parental sensitivity and confidence and creating healthier pathways for nearly 3,000 children.
About the Opportunity:
The incoming Chief Advancement Officer (CAO) will be an integral partner in the deliberate growth and deepening of our service and impact. We have just finalized an ambitious strategic plan and will be growing by 150% over the next five years, with the core goals of saturating all high child poverty NYC communities by 2025, allowing us to serve 3000 families annually by 2025; deploying a policy and advocacy shop; and deepening our evidence-based, community-centric technical support and capacity building work.
Reporting to and partnering with the Executive Director, the CAO will help to develop the strategy to expand our base of support and relationships, and retain and increase funding to secure $12M over the next five years, ensuring that over 10,000 families and children heal from trauma and develop tools for success in life.
Priorities & Responsibilities:
- Thought partner with the executive team on determining the organization’s niche and value proposition and expanding excitement for the mission;
- Collaborate with the executive team on setting and implementing financial goals, assessing risk, supporting budgeting and forecasting;
- Lead building an internal culture of philanthropy through relationship and trust building, and system and process development;
- Manage and build a high performing fundraising function;
- Provide mentorship and oversight for the development team, with direct supervision for the Communications and Development Associate.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, develop the strategy to increase and retain $3M this year; expand base to bring in $12M in 5 years;
- Bring or develop new funding relationship relationships, including with high net worth donors and institutional partners;
- Develop a strong pipeline of multi year commitments;
- Help determine what funding opportunities Power of Two should pursue and bring strategy & intentionality to funding applications;
- Continue building out fundraising systems and platforms;
- Oversee the operation and maintenance of Power of Two’s donor database Regularly monitor, evaluate and prepare reports on progress towards:
- 1) the development team goals and key targets; and
- 2) growth campaign benchmarks
- Proactively design and execute new and creative donor engagement strategies to expand current donor base, increase engagement and retention as well as increasing current donor level of support.
- Intentionally develop collaborative relationships, share information across the organization and engage team members in fundraising efforts;
- Build strong relationships and partnerships with (and support the development activities of) select board members;
- Deep community-centeredness; asset-based understanding of communities similar to the ones Power of Two partners with;
- Significant fundraising experience and understanding of the philanthropic landscape and how to effectively position a mission within it;
- Experience partnering with an Executive Director and leadership teams on forecasting, revenue and budgeting;
- Experience designing and implementing ambitious fundraising plans;
- Track record of cultivating six to seven figure gifts;
- Track record of building out a revenue line;
- Outstanding relationship builder and developer with funders, community, and team members;
- Skilled in building, managing and supporting fundraising teams;
- Experience representing an organization externally;
- Skilled in building out fundraising systems and processes;
- Takes initiative setting ambitious goals with clear outcomes;
- Experienced communicator with impeccable written and verbal communication skills; comfortable with social media platforms;
- Emotional intelligence.
Power of Two is an equal opportunity employer, it is our policy to provide equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, military status, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability or handicap or other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.