Development and Communications Coordinator
- Experience Level
Families of Children Under Stress (FOCUS) is hiring a Development & Communications Coordinator. At FOCUS, our mission is to embrace and equip families of children with disabilities to make everyday life better.
We comfort with hospital visits and support groups, offer hope by information and education, provide fun activities for parents and kids, and help to make equipment available to children in need. Our programs were developed to meet real needs in the community, and we serve children, teens, and young adults with disabilities from birth to age 29.
Development and Communications Coordinator
Position Overview: Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), and working closely with the entire FOCUS staff team, this role will coordinate the development and communication efforts for the organization. The Development and Communications Coordinator will support the growth and impact of the organization and work to leverage resources, develop systems, and advance communications beyond the current FOCUS network. Position will support the ED and Board in achieving annual fundraising objectives for FOCUS. Candidates should have experience in fundraising (including grant writing), communications, design, event planning and execution, and working with databases. The ideal candidate also has experience with and passion for working with children and youth with disabilities. Employee should be comfortable working alongside a small staff team and should demonstrate the ability to be detail-oriented, organized, and able to manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
Collaborate with the Executive Director to lead FOCUS’ annual fundraising strategy, including donor stewardship, grant proposals, fundraising events, donor appeals, peer-to-peer campaigns, and data collection.
- Develop strategies and schedules for donor outreach, communication, cultivation, and stewardship, with a focus on relationship building for long-term organizational support.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to cultivate relationships with current and prospective donors, local businesses, and community partners. Solicit both in-kind and monetary support for FOCUS, when appropriate.
- Write and submit winning grant proposals.
- Research foundation and corporate grant prospects to determine mutual connections and feasibility, arrange connectional meetings for organizational leadership, and write compelling proposals for matching prospects.
- Track proposals and send impact reports to funders upon project completion.
- Oversee the gift acknowledgement process, ensure all gifts and pledges are stewarded in a timely fashion; generating pledge reminders, communicating and coordinating with the Director of Finance for processing donations.
- Lead the planning and execution of FOCUS special events. Including coordinating publicity, sponsorships, auction and raffle efforts, event software, venue space, meals, entertainment, ticket sales, and supporting other event needs as appropriate.
- Create fundraising appeal and peer-to-peer campaign materials (including print media, online campaigns, and email solicitations), managing appeal’s distribution, analyzing results, and making recommendations to increase reach, participation, and gift level.
- Use data to inform development and communications processes, present data to relevant parties to drive decision making.
- Manage all aspects of the contact database. Ensure database entry and management of donor/grant information, notes, and opportunities. Update all constituent information, produce mailing labels and lists, create and update donor reports.
Marketing and Communications
Align communications with development strategy to deepen awareness and understanding of the FOCUS mission and story.
- Leverage communications to build support and community both internally and externally.
- Draft content for FOCUS website, print and digital publications and social networks (Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
- Capture and curate impactful photos, videos, and other relevant materials that demonstrate FOCUS’ story.
- Write and edit print and digital publications.
- Create presentations, videos, brochures, annual reports, event materials, and other special communications.
- Provide communications support to program as needed, including editing and compiling marketing materials to publicize program-wide events and activities.
Qualifications, Experience and Capabilities:
- 4-year College degree
- 2+ years of experience in a fundraising or marketing/communications role
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Reliable, collaborative, and flexible
- Ability to relate effectively to a diverse community and to connect with FOCUS staff, volunteers, partners, consultants, board members, children, and families
- Exceptional writing, proofreading, and graphic design skills
- Demonstrated excellence in time management, organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to learn from feedback, handle multiple projects, work both independently and collaboratively, and produce quality results on schedule
- Demonstrated ability with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), graphic design programs (Canva, Adobe, or similar), and familiarity with database management, preferably with Salesforce
- Event planning skills and experience
- Experience in developing and organizing proposals and presentations for various audiences
- Experience with and passion for working with children and youth with disabilities
Position Structure and Compensation:
- The position is full time (non-exempt) throughout the year and includes participation in periodic evening and weekend events.
- Compensation is set to be in line with compensation for Development and Communications Coordinator roles of other Atlanta nonprofits of similar size and scale, commensurate with experience.
- Benefits include a competitive vacation plan, access to a healthcare plan with a company allowance toward purchase, and access to a Simple IRA with consideration of a match by the board as resources allow.
- FOCUS also encourages and supports professional development opportunities.
Please email a resume and cover letter, outlining skills and experience, to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “FOCUS Development and Communications Coordinator”