Vice President, Youth Development
- Experience Level
The VP of Youth Development is responsible for directing the strategic and operational output of the youth development functions within the organization. This position will develop an organization-wide strategy that includes program partners, program design, training and coaching for Club management and staff practices to support quality youth development. The VP, Youth Development finds, develops and utilizes program partners, volunteers and community support to enhance Club and Workforce Development programming.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Youth Development and Programmatic Leadership
- Provides guidance and direction org-wide on youth development, college and career readiness and programmatic strategy and expectations.
- Develops strategies to meet Club and organizational goals through quality programming.
- Policy development and implementation related to programming, youth development outcomes, youth protection, volunteer and partner engagement, and youth engagement platforms.
- Oversees the pursuit and evaluation of contracts, programmatic and corporate partners, and volunteers for youth programming as well as college and career readiness.
- Works with Regional Directors to oversee the safe execution of all organizationally supported programs, events, trips, and conferences involving youth, teens and staff
- Leads the development and execution of strategic partnerships that meet financial and/or operational needs with organizations, corporations, and institutions/universities.
- Determines, secures and manages external resources to enhance programs (ie: strategic partners, volunteers, work study students, etc.)
- Oversees program grant compliance, reporting, event oversite and adherence.
- Leads and develops training initiatives to support Managers and Employees with best youth development practices.
- Develops and implements an annual training strategy that primarily focuses on building the coaching, leadership and management capacity of Club leaders to nurture strong teams and ensure youth development practices are consistently demonstrated.
- Works with SVP of Programs & Operations to ensure overall youth development strategy is aligned with organization's strategic plan.
- Works with Evaluations and Measurement department to evaluate/measure impact and effectiveness of youth development practices, partnerships, and in-house programming.
Marketing, Public Relations and Development
- Oversees all programmatic reporting processes in partnership with Resource Development to ensure timely deliverables and reporting for all youth development and teen programs.
- Participates in activities to maintain good public relations for Youth Development teams
Staff Management and Development
- Partners with the Regional Directors to provide significant guidance, training, and support to the Youth Development Directors to ensure consistency in executing the youth development programmatic strategy.
- Ensures qualified staff are recruited, trained, developed and retained to execute youth development, teen services and programmatic deliverables, strategies
- Develops performance objectives for direct reports, monitors performance and provides on- going feedback on performance; ensures same activities are followed by team leaders
- Determines staffing levels that best support effective Club operations and program delivery
- Oversees Training & Development to create training programs to ensure Club staff are equipped with the knowledge and capability to demonstrate the practices that produce a high- quality staff and youth experience.
- Visits Clubs regularly and collaborates across all departments to ensure programmatic excellence, understand gaps in service and obstacles to quality delivery, and collaborates with stakeholders for innovation and improvements
- Manages team’s administrative processes to ensure that information, reports, and other data received is accurate, timely and follows organizational administrative policies and procedures.
- Reviews monthly program data to understand and inform program delivery, obstacles, and areas of improvement
- Reviews Club Experience and Staff Experience data, benchmarks and strategies and co- develops strategies for improvement with all organizational stakeholders
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college required
- A minimum of seven years of work experience, preferably in a Boys & Girls Clubs (or similar organization) where knowledge, experience and competency in the above key roles was acquired.
- A minimum of five years’ work experience at a senior level where knowledge, experience and competency in the above key roles was acquired.
- A minimum of 3 years managing a team
- Demonstrated ability to manage employees at multiple locations including budget oversight, team development and performance management
ENVIRONMENT & WORKING CONDITIONS:
Normal internal office environment with frequent travel to Clubs and the Support Center. Weekend and evening work to support organization’s fundraising events, committee meetings, special events, and activities. Frequent internal contacts with employees throughout organization is required. Physical requirements include walking, climbing stairs, and sitting for four plus hours per day. Light work, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently.
Exempt employees are not entitled, under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), to the protections of the wage and hour laws of the state or the FLSA. Exempt employees must always be paid on a salary basis and not be subject to reduction based on the quality or quantity of work performed.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.