- Experience Level
The Mayfair Coordinator develops strong organizing leadership in the predominantly immigrant
Mayfair community amongst neighborhood residents and school parents; facilitates solution-based
discussions around multi-generational challenges and supports the development of community strategies
to support a thriving and vibrant Mayfair.
The Mayfair Coordinator reports directly to SOMOS Mayfair’s Community Organizing & Policy
Manager and works alongside a team to develop strategies for authentic community decision-making in
our local and county government. The Coordinator will be charged with the recruitment of parent
leaders and provide training and skill building in community organizing and action to work with our
City and County officials, and other partners and bring parent solutions to fruition. The Coordinator will
work with the Program Manager to support organizing strategies that result in increased leadership and
policy change in our communities across Mayfair and East San Jose. The Coordinator prioritize working
with community to develop leadership, educate community, and mobilize groups of people towards
action to successfully complete campaign goals. The coordinator will be responsible with supporting the
Community Organizing Manager with building alliances, partnerships locally to increase voice of
parent/community members in the organizing process.
Duties and Responsibilities (approximate % of time & priority):
Grows SOMOS’ capacity to increase parent resident leadership and community organizing skills school
and neighborhood campaigns (60%)
- Support SOMOS Mayfair organizing teams to develop leadership of parents and community residents prioritizing the Mayfair neighborhood and the Alum Rock Union School District enrollment zones, by conducting workshops, action plans, and developing leadership based on neighborhood and city-wide campaigns;
- Develop strong action-based programming and timeline that include outreach, curriculum development, policy and advocacy training, evaluation, children assessments and continued family engagement;
- Develop concrete strategies and activities along with community to support the overall goals of the Mayfair Equity Platform and our organizing campaigns;
- Developed leadership of participants to increase the overall community power to advance the Mayfair Equity Platform and hold school, city and county decision makers accountable
- Meet individually and in groups with community leaders to provide constructive feedback and observation, as well as to assist with conflict resolution and problem solving as needed;
- Coordinate work with all Mayfair coordinators to align organizing strategies, platform, outreach, and strategic direction across all community leaders and schools;
- Work with Program Manager & Director to develop messages, decisions making structures, and
analysis of Community Power;
- Supervise external contracts to support the delivery of organizing and leadership
development as needed;
External Relationships & Regional Advocacy (20%)
- Establish productive working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, organizations, institutional decision makers and agencies to ensure and promote the long term organizational mission and goals;
- Represent SOMOS Mayfair at meetings with external stakeholders and allies;
- Participate in regional and statewide efforts to advance the efforts of Promotores and community organizers working in neighborhoods like Mayfair;
- Organize community and stakeholder analysis to uphold and reconcile different interests impacted by ongoing organizing activities, tactics, and goals;
- Support with external and regional campaign endorsements as needed.
Impact Evaluation (15%)
- Support with SOMOS Mayfair’s annual evaluation strategy;
- Ensure program evaluation tools are correctly utilized to measure impact with group participants;
- Conduct strategic evaluation of program area with support Program Manager biannually;
- Conduct strategic planning with leaders in program area as well as collectively in team to ensure program effectiveness, deep and sustainable impact and continuous growth.
Professional Development (5%)
- Create an annual professional development plan to develop or strengthen essential skills and seek opportunities for greater and on-going learning, including community organizing models and the practice of popular education pedagogy;
- Support and supervise Program Assistants as needed;
- Participate in agency wide decision-making arenas and in regular internal political education as needed;
- Contribute to the development of organizational worldview and development of strategic plan.
- Deep passion and commitment to advancing racial, economic and social justice in immigrant, working class communities;
- Experience in community organizing, community leadership development or peerto-peer service delivery models (ie. Promotor) in working poor, immigrant communities;
- Expertise in outreach, turn out, public presentations and group facilitation;
- Highly motivated, time management skills, team player, and eager to learn
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to communicate with a broad audience;
- Ability to interact well with young children and adults;
- Computer proficient in MS Word, Excel, Zoom or web meeting platforms, internet and e-mail.
- Bilingual/biliterate Spanish-English;
- Valid California driver’s license and proof of auto insurance required;
- Fingerprint and background check required.
- Experience with research community-based land-use and development strategies.
- Experience with coalition building and policy advocacy a plus
- Experience with storytelling and media campaigns a plus
- Experience in applying popular education methodology;
- Knowledge of local community resources and agencies;
- Deep understanding of root causes impacting housing needs in marginalized and poor communities;
- Experience with research tools and methodologies.
Location & Response to COVID-19
The Coordinator position normally operates out of SOMOS office located in the Mayfair neighborhood
of East San Jose. Due to circumstances caused by the novel coronavirus, the team at SOMOS is
currently working remotely. Recognizing that this is a highly unusual and rapidly evolving situation,
questions or concerns around location and work logistics will be openly addressed during the hiring
process. Candidates should, however, expect to work on site at SOMOS office whenever it has been
deemed safe to return to work by local/state governments.
Somos Mayfair is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Applicants are considered for employment
without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and
gender expression, disability or veteran status.