Director, Marketing and Communications
- Experience Level
The Garrison Institute, a not-for-profit organization located in the beautiful Hudson Valley area is currently recruiting for a Director of Communications and Marketing. This position will support the mission of the Garrison Institute and is responsible for advancing and managing the organization’s image, outreach and constituent engagement through the areas of communications, marketing, social media, public relations and media relations in coordination with the programming and development teams. This is a key leadership role, serving as a member of the senior executive team while managing 1-2 departmental staff.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Communications and Marketing will guide the strategy and execution of communications, marketing, public relations, and media presence to consistently and dynamically promote the Garrison Institute and its mission.
The Director will work in close collaboration with the Programming and Development teams in supporting their duties. This position requires the ability to scan both the organization and the surrounding community environments in order to position the Garrison Institute as a leader in its field.
Our Director must be ready to take on a challenging role and help tackle the following questions:
How do we communicate the mission of the Garrison Institute and the stories of the people we serve in a compelling, clear and impactful way?
How do we raise the visibility of the Garrison Institute as a thought leader in our field?
How do we craft the most effective strategic marketing and communications plan to heighten awareness, generate the funding needed to serve our community, and expand the Garrison Institute’s network?
What plan is needed to improve and enhance the Garrison Institute’s digital presence?
Essential Functions and Responsibilities for the position include:
- Plan, organize and implement comprehensive communication strategy across all audience segments and in support of marketplace initiatives while working within budget
- Oversee the department’s marketing and communications calendar.
- Develop and execute marketing support for fundraising initiatives including appeals, online giving campaigns, peer to peer, crowdfunding, events, talking points, scripts, video, and Garrison Institute presentation decks.
- Support and manage digital presence including website, social media, video and email communications; experience with new website design a plus.
- Actively monitor and report on performance, marketing analytics and SEO.
- Plan and execute communication initiatives (e.g., develop copy, scripts, talking points and conceptual layout, produce and/or manage production, coordinate printing/lettershop).
- Develop and manage production and mailing of print materials such as newsletters, direct mail, brochures and collateral, annual report, event collateral, postcards, etc. as needed.
- Maintain and execute within brand standards/guidelines, to deliver consistent visual recognition of the Garrison Institute’s brand and promote GI value proposition, image, reputation and marketplace position; experience with design and branding a plus
- Identify opportunities to enhance brand and/or promote specific programs, events and initiatives.
- Develop and expand overall marketplace presence (public relations and media relations).
- Maintain and leverage media relationships.
- Develop press releases, letters to the editor, commentary, editorial, media coverage of activities/events.
- Secure publicity and plan for logistical support at events (some evenings and weekends are required).
- Manage a supplemental photography bank and releases.
- Create and update press and media packets.
- Maintain libraries of Garrison Institute media coverage that is accessible for staff.
- In collaboration with the CEO, plan and manage expenses for marketing and communication materials and support.
- Manage and/or work with various consultants and vendors.
- Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM, Canva, Wordpress, Mailchimp, Adobe Suite, and Social Media Platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Youtube).
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
- Commitment to the Mission and Vision of the Garrison Institute and to the community being served.
- Belief that a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion will provide the best environment, experience and services for everyone, and especially the Garrison Institute community.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field is required.
- Five to ten years of experience in a leadership position in Communications and Marketing.
- Self-motivated, responsible, accountable and can work unsupervised. Must enjoy working with others on a team.
- Organized and detail-oriented, with a good aptitude for logistics.
- Proactive approach to problem solving with strong decision-making skills.
- High ethical standards, comfort dealing with confidential information.
- Flexibility and energy to work some evenings and weekends.
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills.
- Additional languages a plus.
- Willingness to learn new skills and work on different and evolving projects.
- Possesses warmth, sense of humor, honesty and compassion.
This position is full-time and provides a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package as well as a supportive work culture. Our top candidate will work alongside an energized and motivated team of colleagues in a collegial and contemplative setting nestled in an old monastery on 90 acres alongside the Hudson River.