- Experience Level
The Garrison Institute is seeking an experienced accountant to oversee our financial management in the role of Controller. The ideal candidate will have proven non-profit experience as an accountant, preferably as a CPA in a senior role. As a strong communicator and skilled financial analyst, you will make it your mission to streamline our budgeting, payroll, and financial reporting processes. You will produce thorough financial-status reports for our CEO and Board to help improve our operational efficiency and aid in our continued growth.
· Provide comprehensive financial updates to the CEO and Board by evaluating, analyzing, and reporting appropriate data points.
· Guide financial decisions by applying the Institute’s policies and procedures to the current economic landscape.
· Develop, implement, and maintain financial controls and guidelines.
· Achieve budgeting goals with proper scheduling, analysis, and corrective action.
· Help develop and support short and long-term operational strategies.
· Manage and monitor all financial accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance and regulatory requirements as well as the requirements of private contributions and donations, loans, and contracts.
· Maintain internal control safeguards for the receipt of operating revenue, costs and organizational budgets and actual expenditures.
· In conjunction with the CEO, establish financial and operating benchmarks, budgets, program monitoring, and reporting standards.
· Implement consistent accounting policies, practices, and procedures across all programs, upholding federal, state, and local legal standards by remaining knowledgeable about existing, new, and future legislation.
· Develop and enforce internal controls to maximize protection of the Institutes’ assets, policies, procedures, and workflow.
Skills and Qualifications
· Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or related field
· 10+ years proven accounting experience, with 5+ years in a non-profit senior-level position
· Professional accounting certification preferred including CMA or CGA
- Strong working knowledge of detailed financial data analysis with a history of financial project management experience
· Working knowledge of finance law and regulatory standards (GAAP)
· Strong understanding of economic and banking processes
· Payroll experience, with a focus on streamlining accounting processes
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and local tax compliance regulations and reporting
- CPA highly preferred
- Support of the Institute’s mission is essential
Located on the Hudson River, an hour north of NYC, the Garrison Institute is housed in a beautifully renovated facility on the estate of a former monastery. The Institute presents a wonderful opportunity to work in a contemplative setting with an energized, thoughtful community of individuals.