Sr. Coordinator of Middle School Programs
- Degree Level
Breakthrough Silicon Valley launches talented but underserved middle school students on the path to college, while at the same time inspiring high school and college students to become educators. While ambitious in our goals, BTSV works: 97% of BTSV graduates are accepted into four-year colleges (through the class of 2019) and 87% of BTSV Teaching Fellows (2017-19) are inspired to pursue a career in education as a result of their summer experience.
Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s tuition-free program provides year-round out of school time academic support, advising, and advocacy for a diverse group of talented students, most of whom come from under-resourced communities and are first in their family to go to college. Through our students-teaching-students model, Breakthrough also provides a consummate professional development experience in education by providing talented high school and college students the opportunity to design and teach classes under the direction of seasoned education professionals.
Located in San Jose, California, Breakthrough Silicon Valley is an affiliate of The Breakthrough Collaborative, a leading national service organization that acts as the national voice for 24 Breakthrough sites across the country.
The Sr. Coordinator of Middle School Programs (SCMSP) coordinates and facilitates programs for our middle school students to ensure they are prepared for academic success in rigorous college preparatory high school programs. The SCMSP works closely with students and parents as they navigate the middle school years and holds students to high academic and social standards. The SCMSP will consistently advise students and families throughout the school year both academically, and socially to ensure students are on track for college through the middle school transition years.
The SCMSP will also execute after-school programs for our middle-school students, maintaining an engaging, dynamic learning community, while also delivering 1:1 advising that is critical to student success. The SCMSP co-leads one of our immersive 6-week Middle School Summer Programs sites, serving as the primary resource for approx 115 students and families and leading a small summer site team to plan and implement all of the elements of the program including field trips, special events, and day-to-day operations. At the summer site, the SCMSP will serve as the cultural leader, and will partner with a Dean of Faculty to ensure that 20-25 teaching fellows are supported to execute on our “students-teaching-students” model throughout the summer.
Responsibilities and Functions
- Perform student grade monitoring and academic advising, and implement necessary interventions (e.g. conferences, tutoring, disciplinary actions) for all 7th and 8th-grade students at the San Jose Unified District site (approximately 100-120 students).
- Maintain student performance, attendance, and survey data utilizing Salesforce platform and other platforms such as Excel and Google Sheets.
- Conduct a minimum of one one-on-one conference with each family throughout the school year, with subsequent follow-up conferences as needed.
- Maintain a working knowledge of human services and other support services in the community, serve as referral source for families to appropriate community resources, as needed.
- Develop solutions in engaging our families to best fit their needs and maintain these relationships to ensure all students are meeting programmatic goals.
- Collaborate with school partner personnel (such as teachers, counselors, and principals), updating them on student progress and issues and work together to design interventions and adapt programming to best fit needs. The SCMSP will also work with various school personnel to deepen our partnership in ways that benefit Breakthrough, our students, and our school partners.
After School Program
- Oversee execution of After-School programs, with specific focus on STEM-based problem solving activities, high school options, and developing college-going behaviors and mindsets. Plan and execute occasional weekend and evening community-building events for students and families.
- Coordinate tutoring for middle school students.
- Under the direction of Director of Admissions and Middle School Programs (DAMSP), plan and execute the After-School Program facilitators’ training.
- Communicate school year calendar to families via mailings, emails, newsletters, and phone calls.
- Communicate with schools to update teachers, administrators, and counselors about BTSV, participating students, upcoming events, and staff contact information.
- Oversee the day-to-day work of Breakthrough Leadership Program (BLP) intern.
- Coordinate procurement and distribution of student snacks each afternoon.
- Perform administrative tasks that support a successful program such as scheduling, securing facilities, and arranging transportation as needed.
Summer Academic Program
- Co-lead one of the middle school summer programs to ensure quality programming, daily operation of the program, and student and family engagement, while maintaining Breakthrough community and culture.
- Meet weekly with leadership team to oversee overall success of summer program and student participation.
- Oversee the summer co-curriculum, focusing on developing students’ social emotional learning skills.
- Schedule students into summer classes.
- Oversee day-to-day work of Breakthrough Leadership Program (BLP) Intern.
- Support the student admissions process by delivering recruitment presentations at local schools, reading applications, and participating in new family interviews.
- Design and lead projects that have a team-wide impact of improving program quality.
- Assist with summer teaching fellow recruitment and selection process.
- Produce reports on program quality indicators such as student grades, attendance, GPA and other summaries and reports, assisting with grant-writing and program evaluation.
- Collaborate with the Development (fundraising) Team and Executive Director with fundraising, marketing, and board-related activities as necessary.
Ideal candidates will bring to the position a variety of attributes, knowledge and skills.
- Ability to deliver workshops and engage with families in Spanish or Vietnamese is a must-have.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year university.
- Experience with curriculum development, student assessment, data-collection, and program evaluation preferred.
- Three or more years of experience working in youth development. *
- Ability to work in environments and communities with people from diverse backgrounds and understanding of the needs of the community we serve.
- Dynamic, entrepreneurial leader able to focus on program mission and details of program administration and operations
- Excellent communicator, able to write and speak persuasively
- Open minded with integrity and a sense of humor
- Knowledge of and experience in working with public school districts preferred
- As Breakthrough is an “out of school time program” candidates should anticipate working hours of 11am - 7pm Monday-Friday (in-person, virtual hours are 10am - 6pm) and 7:30am- 4:30pm in June, July, and August.
*Candidates with less program experience will be considered for a coordinator level role.
Under normal circumstances, the SCMSP would work primarily at one of our two Breakthrough offices. Travel between BTSV’s offices and to and from partner school sites are needed regularly. Due to COVID19, there would be a mixture of primarily virtual engagements with some in-person programming.
- Herbert Hoover Middle School, 1635 Park Ave, San Jose, CA 95126
- Franklin-McKinley School District, 645 Wool Creek Dr, San Jose, CA 95112
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a full-time, exempt position, available immediately. Our salary range is $45,000 - $55,000 for this position.
- As Breakthrough is an “out of school time program” candidates should anticipate frequent evening and occasional weekend commitments.
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
- Generous Health Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision health coverage and life insurance.
- Retirement Benefits: 401(k) plan with immediate company match.
- Generous paid time-off: 15 days plus 11 holidays and two "shut-down" weeks.
- Professional development fund for professional growth and learning opportunities.