Bookkeeper & Office Administrator
- Experience Level
GAIA is a worldwide alliance of more than 800 organizations and individuals in over 90 countries working for justice and a world without waste. We see waste, plastics, and their resulting pollution as a symptom of a larger, profit-driven extractive economy, and we promote zero waste as a holistic solution that supports an economic shift toward justice and sustainability.
GAIA’s U.S. office is looking for a detail-oriented Bookkeeper & Office Administrator to support the organization with its bookkeeping, administration, office management, events coordination, and special projects.
The Bookkeeper & Office Administrator serves as a logistical resource throughout the organization and will be responsible for day-to-day operations including bookkeeping, HR and administration, assistance to program staff, and ensuring the office operations run smoothly. The position reports to GAIA’s Finance & Business Coordinator and works in close collaboration with U.S. program staff and occasional international staff on special projects and events.
This is a full-time position and divided into three main work categories:
- bookkeeping support 50%
- special projects/tech support 30%
- office management/administrative support 20%
- Perform all aspects of bookkeeping – A/P, A/R, reconciliations, financial reports, payroll/timesheets, month-end processing and year-end documents in collaboration with Finance Coordinator
- Manage all day-to-day remote office, facilities, and operational needs, including equipment, supplies, furniture, basic IT support & troubleshooting, internal communications, calendars, emergency preparedness plans, and other remote office needs
- Support program staff on relevant projects, including micro-funds disbursement (e.g. contracts and grants to grassroots groups), occasional travel arrangements, and events and meeting assistance. This could include writing and editing projects for the right candidate.
- Maintain and update electronic and paper and e-accounting files
- Assist with and support on contracts, vendor files, and customer accounts
- Assist with annual audit process, human resources, and insurance handling
- Assist with fundraising mailings and donor follow-up
- Participate in other projects as assigned
- The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience, and 3+ years working in non-profit finance or bookkeeping
- Individual must have strong knowledge of accounting principles
- Must be organized and dependable
- Strong general computer and technical skills; ability to work across platforms and to learn new technology quickly
- High level of attention to detail; sensitivity to confidential matters
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with a knack for being responsive to a wide array of incoming inquiries and requests
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills; ability to keep documentation tidy and accessible
- Ability to problem-solve, take initiative, and maintain efficiency in a rapidly changing, dynamic environment
- Ability to coordinate complex projects or multiple simultaneous tasks efficiently and involving multiple personnel across time zones around the world
- Experience working in Quickbooks; and strong skills in MS Office & Google Sheets required
- Experience in providing basic IT support & management
- Experience with WordPress, Salesforce, Constant Contact and other online social media platforms a plus
- Experience and interest in writing and editing a plus
- Spanish language abilities a plus
- Passion for social and environmental justice
Location: This position will begin remotely, while the office is closed due to COVID-19 (likely through the end of 2020 and perhaps beyond); and will eventually transition to an in-person position based out of the Berkeley, CA location once the office is re-opened.
How to apply: Interested candidates should email cover letter, current resume, and list of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Bookkeeper & Office Administrator.” Position open until filled; first round of applications will be reviewed beginning September 7th. Applications still being accepted!
GAIA is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate based on race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, political belief, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or other status protected by applicable law. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Salary range is $52,000-$56,000 FTE, based on experience. Benefits are competitive for a mid-sized social justice group based in the San Francisco Bay Area.