- Experience Level
Controller Position Description
Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company seeks a skilled and experienced Controller to manage the company’s accounting and financial management systems and processes. Of particular importance is ensuring accurate accounting and timely reporting of the company’s financial position to staff and Board leadership to make sound financial decisions. The Controller should be comfortable in a hands-on role with regard to accounting and financial management. With under 20 full-time employees, this is the only Finance position on staff – so the successful candidate must have a strong grasp of all key financial management functions and the ability to do everything from basic accounts payable to budget management and financial analysis. They must also be comfortable in a fast-paced, artistic environment. This position supports the galvanizing artistic work that Woolly Mammoth engenders by ensuring accurate and clean books with proper financial procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ongoing financial management and accounting:
- Manage and process all finance operations, including payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and bank deposits and transfers;
- Establish and enforce proper accounting methods, policies, and internal controls to ensure conformity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and in alignment with the organization’s growth;
- Ensures all subsystems (CRM system, payroll system, credit cards, bank accounts, etc.) are effectively interfaced with the general ledger;
- Support fundraising operations, including ensuring the coordination of timely and accurate processing of contributions in Tessitura database; as well as supporting the creation, management, and reporting of grants budgets;
Monthly reconciling and reporting:
- Carry out the monthly closing of the books across multiple subsystems;
- Manage monthly reconciliation and reprojections with departmental budget managers;
- Prepare accurate financial reports for management and the Board of Directors and assist with financial forecasting;
- Manage cash flow and track fixed assets for short-term and long-term financial planning;
- Work with the Board Finance Committee;
Annual planning and reporting:
- Support the creation of the annual budget and lead budget forecasting, working effectively with other departments to monitor and manage budgets;
- Prepare annual fiscal reports and coordinate the annual audit, ensuring accuracy across reporting;
Other business responsibilities:
- Provide some administrative support to the Managing Director with business matters including licenses, insurance, and benefits.
- Commit to Woolly’s policy of anti-racism and radical inclusivity. This includes participating in anti-bias/anti-harassment training, familiarizing yourself with the policies in the employee handbook, using Woolly’s Liberation Library as an educational resource, engaging in EDI work at Woolly, and furthering your own independent journey with anti-racism.
- Cross-departmental collaboration, including participating in at least one Woolly working group and/or taskforce outside of your own department.
- Advocate for policies both internally and externally that further advance Woolly’s stated values on an organizational, local, and national scale.
- Contribute in meaningful ways to the organizational culture.
- Act as an ambassador for Woolly Mammoth in the local community and beyond.
- Demonstrated experience in not-for-profit accounting and financial management;
- Hands-on experience with payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and banking processes/systems;
- Experience in implementing online solutions (preferred but not required);
- Previous experience using Tessitura or a similar CRM system (preferred but not required);
- Previous experience with Sage50 Accounting (preferred but not required);
- CPA and/or degree in accounting or finance (preferred but not required).
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of generally accepting accounting principles for not-for-profit entities, especially relative to revenue recognition, donor restrictions, grants, and deferrals;
- Solid understanding of best practices in not-for-profit financial management control systems;
- Ability to manage numerous process/system interfaces with the general ledger;
- High attention to detail and accuracy;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to communicate sometimes complex financial requirements/processes into simplified terms;
- Excellent Excel skills.
Other Skills or Qualities:
- Self-motivated, organized, and able to manage multiple priorities and projects;
- The ability to collaborate with a wide variety of people, personalities, and working styles;
- Detail-oriented and able to see the larger picture in service of holistic and creative problem solving;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively;
- Understanding of how finance responsibilities contribute to Woolly Mammoth’s mission, embody its values, and achieve its long-term vision;
- An appreciation for theatre and a belief in the arts as an important contributor to society.
- Typical schedule is Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm or 10am-6pm, with some early mornings, evenings, and weekends as necessary.
- Must be able to withstand extended viewing of computer screens.
- This position is currently a mostly work-from-home position with some regular needs to go into our office in DC’s Penn Quarter. We are open to a partially or predominantly work-from-home set-up in perpetuity.
- This position has typically sat in an open/shared office environment with moderate noise levels.
- Woolly Mammoth’s building is located in Washington, DC’s Penn Quarter neighborhood. It is air-conditioned, wheelchair accessible, and is in close proximity to public transportation.
Salary starts at $70,000 annually for this full-time exempt position. An excellent benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision insurance; short-term disability coverage; vacation, sick, and personal days.
How to Apply
Please e-mail your cover letter, resume, and references with “Controller” in the subject line to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Priority Deadline: September 17, 2020
Priority will be given to applications submitted prior to September 17, 2020.
Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Woolly complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Woolly Mammoth seeks a broad spectrum of employees and is strongly committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color – as well as members of underrepresented groups – to apply.
Woolly Mammoth Mission and Values
To create rousing, visceral, enlightening theatre experiences that galvanize diverse artists and audiences to engage with our world in unexpected and often challenging ways.
We are a radically inclusive community—across race, ethnicity, nationality, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical ability, socioeconomic background, and political viewpoint—in which all are encouraged to exchange ideas freely and reach for new understanding.
We are a supportive home for creative risk-taking by our company and guest artists, staff, board, volunteers, audiences, donors, and colleagues.
Through relentless inquiry and experimentation, we strive for world-class excellence and innovation in every aspect of our work.