Communications & Development Associate
- Experience Level
WellKind Communications & Development Associate 9.1.2020
Travel and phone budget is provided
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Remote - Home Office - (Required Northern California) - Year One
WellKind believes that the “future is well”. Wellkind provides leadership training and ecological and economic resources from a perspective that recognizes local leadership, systems thinking, and our inherent connection to nature. We look at the whole system, intentionally designing programs that work towards community resilience - helping communities build the capacity to meet their own needs. By fostering leadership within the unique context of each community, we seek to restore the web of relationships - to self, each other and the planet - that form the roots of a thriving planet.
Wellkind Guatemala is a grassroots initiative that supports the indigenous community of Tzununa, emphasizing self-sufficiency, economic empowerment, individual and community health, and environmental sustainability. Tzununa is located on the northern shore of Lake Atitlán. Aside from struggling with deforestation and ecological degradation, it is also one of the most at-risk villages on the lake in terms of food and housing security. As in most of the Department of Sololá, malnutrition and a lack of access to healthy food are major obstacles to the community’s well-being. The need for access to affordable, healthy food, as well as the community’s desire to protect and enrich the local ecosystem, led Wellkind to focus on teaching villagers to use family gardens, tree planting, and artisanship to support both the environmental and social health of the region.
In northern California we are supporting the design and implementation of permaculture-informed primary school gardens to be leveraged as learning labs and bridges to the community, connecting students and the local community to the Earth and increasing awareness of organic food production. Our goal is to help meet the demand for schoolyard gardens and outdoor classrooms, along with other wonderful programs.
The role & opportunity:
As a Communications and Development Associate, you'll be joining an organization that is transforming the future.
You will be part of a collaborative team that works together to achieve WellKind’s mission. You’ll play a key role in development, support and implementation of communications, events and marketing goals. You’ll be the key team member leading the strategic development and production of our communications, keeping an eye on brand congruence. You are an exceptional writer and will be creating ; bi-monthly Blogs, press releases, social media updates, and supporting virtual and on-site programs to ensure all participants have the information they need, as well as summarizing results and outcomes.
In addition, you will be supporting development efforts and assisting in the creation and maintenance of an annual membership program, donor materials (brochures, flyers, “donor ask” packages) and in tracking media and outreach contacts.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Plan and develop content that strengthens brand and reach on social media channels.
- Go deep in researching, developing and implementing a vigorous social media
campaign to significantly boost WellKind’s presence across various social media
- Write monthly informative newsletters for members and bi-monthly BLOG.
- Work with internal team to coordinate and respond to inbound requests in a timely
- Build media relations and list & develop media materials and respond to media
inquiries, maintain relationships with journalists and other members of the press.
- Set up virtual and onsite events for program and fundraising workshops, seminars,
strategic gatherings, workshops, donor trips, and symposiums, & manage participation including; respond to advisory board and speaker requests, prepare agendas, oversee smooth coordination of on-site and virtual activities and communications, coordinate travel for donors, and assist with planning and execution of sponsorship events.
- Assist ED in preparing policy and briefing guides related to WellKind programs to provide informative and compelling support for projects for policy makers, educators, existing and potential supporters.
- Assist with maintenance of the organization’s website and content to assure program information is updated and interactive to other platforms; i.e. BLOGs, Podia/ Constant contact, fundraising software, etc.
- -Conduct outreach to existing and potential supporters & partners & volunteers.
- Prepare “ask” materials for existing and potential donors with guidance from Development Lead & ED.
- Support proposal and report drafting, editing, and formatting responses and ensuring submissions comply with all deadlines and instructions.
- Track all contact data and communications in DonorPerfect with media, volunteers, partners and supporters.
- Support development efforts in executing fundraising strategies for philanthropic support to meet and exceed established fundraising goals.
Bachelors Degree or additional higher education. Exceptional writing & research skills.
Experience with social media and marketing platforms.
A self starter with time management skills.
Strong project management & organizational skills with an eye for detail. Collaborative problem-solve, work collaboratively and individually to achieve mission driven goals.
Ability to work with and support a diversity of people from various ethnic, socio- economic environments. Willingness to work as a team with clients, volunteers and staff.
Bi-lingual English/Spanish preferred but not required.
Send your resume, 3 writing samples, and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why you are the right person for this role and explaining your interest in WellKind’s work
WellKind is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, ethnic background, sex, disability, size, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, color, marital status, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, or genetic information. Applicants who will increase the diversity of WellKind are strongly encouraged to apply. Fluency in Spanish is welcome but not required.
- Initially this position will work remotely with possible in-office work (Bay area) in 1-2 years.
- Sitting and working on a computer and phone for long hours and attendance at virtual meetings via zoom.
Send a resume, cover letter detailing experience, and requested salary to email@example.com