Grants Manager, Legal and Grants, Science
- Experience Level
Founded by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease to improving education to reforming the criminal justice system. Across three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education, and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender non-conforming, first and second-generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Are you a seasoned grants manager with a passion for science? Do you have a proven track record of working successfully with scientists—or in support of science—to achieve meaningful social impact in the world? Are you excited to build and implement systems and processes to do Philanthropy in a different way and to bring this approach to life and to scale? We are looking for the right person to waste no time in support of these CZI efforts.
In this work, you will play a critical role in contributing to the ongoing development of the CZI grants management function. While the role will support CZI’s Science grantmaking, you will also be a cross-functional grants management leader, working with varied CZI partners and teams to improve grantmaking processes and systems, to effectively and efficiently meet the needs of all CZI grantmakers and our portfolio of current and future partners.
This role is for a highly talented professional with a demonstrated passion and aptitude for grants management, including but not limited to: grantmaking compliance, advisory, and operations; grant systems knowledge; knowledge of the philanthropic field; and ability to engage effectively and meaningfully across all CZI teams. The candidate will operate in a thoughtful, intelligent, flexible, patient, and principled way, and in a manner that demonstrates dedication to making an impact through our Initiatives.
- Support the full lifecycle of all grants, from initial ideation, through all diligence and compliance processes, through to final reporting and evaluation, across CZI Initiatives and funding vehicles
- Ensure all administrative, legal and tax compliance aspects of grants, partnering closely with Initiative teams, and internal and external legal teams
- Ensure compliance of all grants with internal CZI policy and practice
- Provide meaningful advisory on grant structure and compliance-related matters to CZI grantmakers
- For Science, in particular, support the development and administration of competitive grant programs in partnership with Science grantmakers
- Build and support the overall grantmaking operations function at CZI, ensuring a consistent and effective approach across Initiatives—including drafting process documentation and delivering training
- Contribute to the ideation, build-out and continuous improvement of CZI’s online grants and contact management tool, including design and refinement of the grants management workflow and execution of systems and procedures that ensure efficient and effective grantmaking
- Serve as a grants system partner with Initiative staff to ensure optimal usage of the online grants and contact management tool, developing and sharing best practices for database management, tracking, and reporting
- Forecast and track grant payments across Initiatives and collaborate closely with internal and external partners to plan for appropriate cash flow and ensure timely payments of grants
- Maintain a working knowledge of the philanthropic field, including news, trends, and potential changes in the relevant law
- Cultivate relationships with existing and new partner organizations in support of CZI grantmaking
- Engage meaningfully and effectively across all CZI teams and projects
- 8+ years in a grants management role
- Direct experience supporting science or scientists
- Familiarity with tax rules governing private foundations and public charities; private foundation experience preferred; 501c4 compliance welcomed, but not required
- Familiarity with the use of data and analytics to measure the impact
- Experience working with databases, spreadsheets, and technology related to grant-making (preference for familiarity with Salesforce)
- Familiarity with drafting process materials for internal and external audiences
- Familiarity with competitive grant programs
- Ability to handle multiple projects and tasks with comprehensive follow through and attention to detail
- Experience implementing systems and processes to increase organizational efficiency
- Ability to communicate technical issues to leadership, staff, and vendors
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential, sensitive information
- Comfortable taking initiative and working in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal and engagement skills, including verbal and written communication skills—and a sense of humor!
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Science / Technology $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Redwood City
- Development / Fundraising Science / Technology $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Redwood City
- Public Policy / Administration Science / Technology $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Redwood City
- Technology / Data Management Science / Technology $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Redwood City