Animal Shelter Community Programs Supervisor
- Experience Level
The Community Programs Department aims to keep pets with the people who love them by supporting pet owners in need. Community Programs is also responsible for providing quality and efficient customer service to shelter visitors and clients, including assisting with the intake of stray animals and helping owners looking for lost pets. The Community Programs Supervisor supports these efforts through the direct daily management of all department employees (Community Caseworkers) to include hiring, motivating, recognizing and rewarding, coaching, counseling, training and problem solving. The Community Programs Supervisor role is a working Supervisor position with the expectation that this person acts as an additional Community Caseworker as the need arises. The Community Programs Supervisor works closely with the Community Programs Manager to research new ideas, implement changes to programs, and coach staff as needed.
- Provide daily direction and communication to employees so that clients are assisted in a timely, efficient, consistent and knowledgeable manner.
- Provide continual evaluation of processes and procedures. Responsible for suggesting methods to improve area operations, efficiency and service to both internal and external clients.
- Provide performance feedback and coaching on a regular basis to each department member. Write and administer performance reviews for skill improvement.
- Assist with team Community Caseworker duties on a regular basis.
- Work closely with Community Programs Manager to resolve client concerns.
- Coordinate with our DeKalb County Animal Control and Enforcement Officers to inform clients of citations, court case updates and bite quarantine requirements.
- Use appropriate judgment in upward communication regarding department or employee concerns.
- Track shelter finances on a weekly basis and support Community Programs Manager with daily reconciliation.
- Develop weekly and monthly statistical reports concerning client volume issues and resolutions, and other appropriate efficiency measurements.
- Serve as back-up for every position and function in the department.
- Prepare office supply and equipment orders for Director approval.
- Work collaboratively with all departments to ensure excellent customer service in all areas of the shelter.
- Support department employees with counseling the public on supporting their pets, rehoming assistance, and directing the public to other community resources.
- Deliver services and programs with an open-minded and inclusive attitude. Treat each community encounter with respect, kindness, and compassion.
- Proven leadership experience.
- Compassion for animals and owners.
- Passion for serving the community.
- Ability to develop and motivate a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- General animal behavior and care knowledge.
- Flexible and able to handle multiple, competing priorities.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in communication, note documentation, and data entry.
- At least 3 years customer service management experience, preferably in a non-retail or non-restaurant environment.
- Degree or certificates in social services, customer service, business management or related field; or, a combination of education and experience in relevant areas.
- Training certification in customer conflict resolution.
- Community outreach or advocacy experience.
- Animal experience preferred.
Must be able to read and interpret policies and procedures. Must be able to communicate
effectively to clients, coworkers, and volunteers and must possess good customer service skills.
Must have the ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written or verbal form and to follow those instructions correctly.
Working within standard guidelines and protocols, must have the ability to tailor each inquiry response to the individual situation.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Georgia driver’s license and ability to meet insurance underwriting guidelines required.
While performing the duties of this job, employee may be exposed to a kennel that is not air-conditioned and may be exposed to unpleasant kennel smells.