Senior Compensation Analyst
- Experience Level
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Miami, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Chicago, and Washington, DC.
Designs, administers, and implements compensation programs and policies to support the recruitment, development and retention of a high-performing organization of nearly 450 staff across the United States. Ensures compensation for professional staff and attorneys reflects best practices and is competitive as well as equitable. Develops and maintains salary structures based on external market data and internal equity. Conducts internal equity review with each VP and department directors every two years as part of the biennial comprehensive compensation review. Oversees annual salary review process and promotions including Board and staff related communications. Maintains job descriptions centrally, including a job matrix and ensures they are current. Develops and maintains reward and recognition program.
This position can be based in San Francisco, CA, (preferred) or Washington, DC.
Compensation - General
- Drives the practices embodying Earthjustice’s compensation philosophy and ensures these values are being met across compensation decisions.
- Key contributor in continuous improvement efforts within the compensation and/or HR function, evaluate current compensation practices and assist in re-designing current processes and policies. Establishes quality and equity standards and metrics; documents and shares knowledge among staff.
- Develops salary structures, including geographic differentials, based on external market data from compensation consultants and ensures internal pay equity.
- Updates salary structures on an annual basis.
- Manages the internal job matrix to ensure all of the organization’s jobs and grades are tracked. Updates matrix regularly.
- Creates criteria for salary offers to new hires and works with HR partners and recruitment staff to develop salary offers. Renegotiates salary offers as needed.
- Communicates and shares salary ranges for job advertisements with the recruitment team.
- Supports and advises HR Partners on all compensation queries.
- Processes all promotion requests in collaboration with HR Partners.
- Participates in compensation surveys from our compensation consultants.
- Stays up to date on current compensation trends in the broader market, and makes recommendations and adjustments to Earthjustice’s compensation model as appropriate.
- Researches external market data or vendors as appropriate.
Annual Salary Review Process
- Develops recommendation for the annual percent increase pool and salary review process and presents to Executive Leadership Team (ELT) in partnership with VP of HR.
- Collaborates with HR Manager to update professional staff and attorney salary structures on an annual basis based on market data and labor market inflation.
- Conducts annual internal equity review of salary recommendations from supervisors to ensure our compensation is equitable and we are in compliance with the California Fair Pay Act.
- Creates salary talking points for supervisors to use when conveying salary updates to their staff.
- Collaborates with HR Manager to update ADP compensation module for salary review process and provides ADP training to managers.
- Co-leads Supervisor training on annual salary review process annually.
Comprehensive Compensation Review
- Conducts internal equity review meetings with VPs and directors from each department and ranks each position every two years as part of the biennial comprehensive compensation review.
- Leads job description update process in conjunction with HR Administrative Assistant.
- Supports VP of HR with creating biennial compensation presentation for the Board.
- Gathers market data for the President and VP of Finance positions on an annual basis and supports VP of HR with drafting memo to the Board with salary recommendations.
Job Descriptions/Job Families/Job Titles
- Works in conjunction with HR Partner to support managers with job description development for newly created positions, position updates and promotions.
- Oversees central folder of all job descriptions and ensures they are current.
- Maintains job titles as well as job families with clear career paths.
Reward and Recognition
- Oversees reward and recognition program including updating of recognition criteria and processing R&R requests.
- Communicates R&R process to staff annually to encourage participation from managers.
- Researches and develops additional best practice reward and recognition programs to ensure staff are recognized and feel valued for going above and beyond job expectations.
- Other projects as assigned.
- BA/BS required; MS/MA/MBA is preferred.
- CCP or PHR/SPHR certification is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience is required, 7+ years preferred.
- Familiarity working in collaboration with a HR Partner Model structure would be helpful.
- Experience working in legal and/or nonprofit sector preferred, but not required.
- Experience using various compensation modules and structures.
- Experience implementing processes and working with stakeholders to ensure process changes are effectively communicated and established.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and cross-departmental collaboration skills are essential.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence. Sense of humor desired.
- Ability to work effectively with confidential information.
- Possess flexibility to handle a diverse workload and multi-task as needed.
- Strong time management skills and ability to set priorities.
- Strong detail orientation, self-motivation and organizational skills a must.
- Experience working with an HR system such ADP Workforce Now. Working knowledge of ADP Workforce Now is preferred.
- Familiarity with California Wage & Hour law and federal compensation laws and regulations.
- Advanced skills in Excel including Pivot Tables, Macros, and functions a plus.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Word and Power Point, and database programs a plus.
- Advanced reporting skills including the ability to draw information from various systems and tools.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to communicate to all levels of the organization and to present information to top management and all staff.
- Ability to work as a team and independently with little supervision.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Salary range is based on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $105,600 - $117,300
Salary range in Washington, DC: $100,400 - $111,500
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested applicants should submit the following:
- Cover Letter.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application.
No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.