Animal Shelter Adoption Supervisor
- Experience Level
Manage the Adoption department. Hire, train, coach and counsel staff. Coordinate with other placement areas to identify animal behavior in order to ensure a good match with potential adopters. Counsel the public about potential pets for adoption.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Hire, train, coach and counsel staff.
- Ensure all Adoption employees understand LifeLine adoption policies and procedures (Adopters Welcome).
- Provide counseling to potential adopters about options to declawing, housebreaking methods, the need for puppy/kitten follow-up shots, yearly veterinary care, the need to put dogs on heartworm prevention and other pet related information.
- Answer questions about specific pets for adoption including the behavior of specific breeds, dog and cat behavior, pet care, whether a specific pet would be good with children or other dogs and other pertinent information.
- Observe and evaluate animals to assist in matching adopters with pets.
- Perform data entry as needed.
- Answer emails and phone calls from the public regarding pets for adoption.
- Coordinate with Clinic management concerning the surgery schedule, heartworm treatments, microchipping, etc.
- Assist in identifying animals for “ready to go” surgery and coordinate surgery scheduling.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Three plus years supervisory experience.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Extensive knowledge of dog and cat behavior, training and of animal breed recognition is also required.
- Knowledge in animal health and well-being to include nutrition needs, resources for information, knowledge of common animal diseases
- Ability to identify animal species, breeds, ages and sexes. Ability to identify signs of animal illnesses and injuries. Ability to recognize common animal behavior.
- Demonstrated personal communication knowledge to include effective phone skills, effective interviewing techniques, public speaking and ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Must be available to work on weekends.
- Must pass background check and drug screening.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Minimum of high school diploma and 1+ years experience in animal related field. Must pass general knowledge test and animal knowledge test.
Must be able to read and interpret policies and procedures. Must be able to communicate effectively to adopters and must provide good customer services skills.
Must pass general knowledge test which includes mathematical problems.
Must have the ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written or verbal form and to follow those instructions correctly.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
While performing the duties of this job, employee may be exposed to a kennel that is not air-conditioned and may be exposed to unpleasant kennel smells.