LEGAL ADVOCATE / PARALEGAL
6 days left
- Experience Level
NOOR FAMILY SERVICES
Noor Family Services (NFS) seeks a legal advocate/ paralegal to support to the legal team in the representation of immigrant survivors and children fleeing domestic violence. Legal Advocate/ paralegal helps clients move smoothly through the legal system, provide information, court monitoring and moral support for abuse victims during the judicial proceedings. The advocate assists the victims with exploring all options that are available to them, including (TPO) Temporary Protection Orders, Stalking Orders, divorce, custody, and support matters. The advocate assists the victim in completing necessary forms, walks the victim through the process from going before the judge to filing the petition with the clerk's office. The position reports to the Attorney. The position is based in Suwanee, GA.
- Crisis intervention and initial evolution of client's need for victim (legal) advocacy.
- Handle referrals from other agencies (law enforcement, magistrate judge, etc.)
- Provide family law support on matters of divorce and Temporary Protective Orders.
- Screen potential clients and provide them with information and referrals
- Assist clients with obtaining ex parte TPOs and in completing necessary forms to pursue contempt of TPO, etc.
- Prepare and draft family law pleadings, forms, and discovery; assist attorney in gather supporting evidence, discovery materials, research and client management.
- Provide support to attorney in scheduling hearings, managing attorney calendar, drafting, and responding to correspondence, liaising with clients and courts
- Liaising with the attorney and others DV agencies that sent referrals to NFS for legal services
- Assist clients in gathering evidence for hearings and prepare hearing/trial notebooks
- Coordinate with translators and interpreters
- Attend court as necessary
- Log in information in CAP 60
- Maintain case files in accordance with NFS policies and program requirements
- Provide administrative support (filing in person, mail, faxing, copying, phones & scheduling)
- Assist with the coordination of training
- Close files and prepare closing letters
- Bilingual – Arabic or Spanish language a plus
- Experience working with diverse individuals of varied racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Knowledge of basic computer skills and the Microsoft Office Suite applications
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize duties in a high-pressured work environment
- Ability to handle crisis situations with diplomacy and tact
- Ability to work within a complex, fast-paced and rapidly changing work environment.
- Skilled in effectively solving problems and achieving results
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Experience in the field of domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Bachelor degree from a four year college or university in social work or related field.
- Punctual, meticulous and reliable
- Courteous manners with the public
- Ability to physically perform the essential job functions.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and web-based applications.
- Working knowledge of the developmental stages of childhood, including physical, cognitive and emotional stages.
- Generous Leave Policy
- Health Insurance
- Mileage Reimbursement