Prospect Research Manager - Haggai International
- Position Type
- Full Time
Job Title: Prospect Research Manager
Reports to: Director of Advancement Services
The Prospect Research Manager employs techniques to provide insight about donors’ personal backgrounds, past giving histories, wealth indicators, and philanthropic motivations to evaluate a prospect’s ability to give (capacity), willingness to give (propensity), and potential interest in giving to our cause/organization (affinity). This information is recorded in the database and transmitted to the Haggai staff in various formats as needed with the overall goal to create efficiency by ensuring that Haggai development personnel are seeing the very best prospects who have the ability to support the ministry. Of the four domains established by the Association of Professional Researchers in Advancement (APRA) in their Body of Knowledge, this position is expected to possess advanced level Prospect Research skills, basic level Campaign skills, basic level Prospect Management skills, and basic level Data Analytics skills.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform research in response to Advancement Director and Haggai leadership requests including, but not limited to, preliminary ratings/capacity assessments, in depth wealth assessments and capacity assessments, prospect biographical information and network(s) identification.
- Produce written profiles which clearly and accurately synthesize information from multiple sources in a clear and coherent manner.
- Perform “proactive” research or prospecting to identify new potential prospects both from within the database through database queries and wealth screening activities as well as from outside the organization’s natural constituency (unaffiliated) through identifying individuals/organizations with relationships to existing constituents which can be leveraged; identifying like-minded individuals/organizations and identifying points of connection by monitoring news stories, Google/Advanced research techniques and daily news screenings and/or push technology/alerts .
- Validate and evaluate discoveries and present qualified prospects to Advancement staff to determine appropriate assignments.
Relationship and Information Management
- Enter in the database and evaluate all new prospects identified by Advancement Directors.
- Utilize news alerts and push technologies for key constituents.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of a capacity rating methodology customized to organizational needs and resources. Document the rating system and train Advancement staff on understanding and using the research capacity ratings for prospect prioritization and strategic planning.
- Record all research information in the database in a consistent and uniform manner.
- Review all Advancement Director contact reports to extract and record in the database any new prospect data.
- Summarize key findings and make actionable recommendations to appear prominently in profiles, prospect lists and other research projects.
- Employ knowledge of moves management concepts including basic donor solicitation cycles stages and expectation for activity at each stage to provide appropriate support to the Advancement team in each stage.
- Support Advancement Directors in capturing moves data (review contact reports, prospect strategy meetings, etc.).
- Assist in the development of a process for the discovery and management of a new prospect’s pipeline in the database.
Qualifications & Skills:
- High school diploma or equivalent; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum 2-3 years experience in prospect research; fundraising/development experience and non-profit experience strongly preferred
- Intermediate knowledge of donor types and understanding of fundraising processes and donor cycles
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical and research skills
- Advanced proficiency in conducting donor research and identifying prospects with experience recognizing and assessing wealth indicators and giving capacity
- Intermediate proficiency in locating relevant information in a variety of formats including digital, print copy, telephone calls, conversations with staff and volunteers, and consolidating it in a well-organized report format
- Exceptional communication skills (verbal and written) that include sensitivity to donor information
- Critical thinking, good judgment, impeccable attention to detail, knowledge of Haggai International and its goals are essential
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with relational databases; Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge a plus
- Knowledge of prospect research ethics (APRA)
- Ability to work effectively with high-level volunteers
- Adaptability and excellent planning and organizing skills that demonstrate the ability to manage multiple simultaneous requests for information and prioritize those requests to meet deadlines.
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to effectively relate to a diverse audience
- Detail oriented and ability to quickly and concisely synthesize large amounts of information
- Successful clearance of a background record check
To submit an application for this position, log onto www.ourfundraisingsearch.com and submit your resume and cover letter. If you have application questions, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.