Veterans Outreach Specialist
- Position Type
- Full Time
Atlanta Center for Self Sufficiency, Inc. (ACSS) empowers financially vulnerable individuals in our community to become self-sufficient, sustainably employed and economic contributors to society. Our programs include CareerWorks, a comprehensive job readiness training and job placement program; Veterans Employment Assistance Program, a targeted initiative aimed at helping homeless veterans re-integrate into the workforce; and CareerWorks Women Venture, a targeted initiative aimed at helping women and families to become self-sufficient.
Job Title: Veterans Outreach Specialist
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Supervisor: Veterans Program Manager
Direct Reports: None
Position Summary: The Veterans Outreach Specialist supports the agency’s efforts to prepare homeless veterans to reenter the workforce and achieve self sufficiency goals. Duties include recruitment, assessment, intake and tracking of veteran clients.
Position Responsibilities/Essential Job Functions:
- Gain a thorough understanding of ACSS’ Veterans Employment Assistance Program and be able to articulate its services and outcomes to appropriate audiences.
- Represent ACSS in conducting outreach and recruitment of eligible veterans for the Department of Labor Homeless Veterans Re-integration grant program and other veteran-related employment initiatives.
- Develop relationships with potential and existing referral agencies throughout metro Atlanta, and provide consistent follow-up with partners as needed.
- Facilitate orientation sessions for incoming veterans (group or individual).
- Conduct intake procedures, including interviews and assessments, and data entry.
- Familiarize and link veterans to the Veterans Administration and other support services.
- Meet with the Veterans Program Manager and Director of Employment regularly to provide updates on weekly outreach and recruitment activities.
- Track outcomes related to recruitment, assessment, and intake in Salesforce and ClientTrack.
- Assist job development staff to identify veterans for employment opportunities.
- Help prepare monthly and quarterly reports related to key job functions.
- Maintain an understanding of all of ACSS’ programs, goals, and key issues.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Veteran status preferred.
- Knowledge of homeless services and veterans services.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office software programs.
- Familiarity with local, state and federal grant programs and monitoring requirements.
- Experience using Georgia’s statewide Homeless Management Information System (ClientTrack) or similar data system.
- Experience using Salesforce or similar data system.
- Superior writing (both creative and analytical) and editing skills.
- Ability to represent the organization in a compelling way, in a variety of environments.
Special Requirements: Must have reliable transportation.
Physical demands and work environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demand: The work is mostly sedentary with periods of light physical activity, and is performed in office surroundings. Typical positions require workers to walk or stand for long periods; life and carry up to 20 pounds; climb stairs, bend, reach, hold, grasp, and turn objects; and operate computer or typewriter keyboards. The work requires the ability to speak normally and to use normal or aided vision and hearing. Subject to work beyond the normal scheduled hours of work; to attend evening meetings and work sessions.
- Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
General sign-off: The employee is expected to adhere to all company polices and to act as a role model in the adherence to polices.
Application Instructions: To apply, email your resume and cover letter (including salary requirements) to firstname.lastname@example.org with Veterans Outreach Specialist in the subject line. No phone calls please.