Director, Criminal Justice
- Experience Level
The Charles and Lynn Schusterman Family Foundation (Schusterman) is a global organization that seeks to improve lives, strengthen communities and reduce inequity. Our philanthropic vision is grounded in a commitment to pursue justice, repair the world and treat all people with dignity and civility. We invest in efforts to improve public education in the United States, strengthen the Jewish people and Israel, and address the needs of marginalized individuals and communities. www.schusterman.org
The Director, based in Schusterman’s New York, NY or Washington, DC office, will be responsible for working with the Co-President to plan and implement the criminal justice philanthropic program of Schusterman, which seeks to: 1) reduce the barriers to economic mobility that result from interactions with the criminal justice system; 2) advance the work of prosecutors and nonprofits seeking to reduce mass incarceration; 3) address the disproportionate negative impact on people of color; and 4) support additional research and learning for Schusterman and the field. The Director will drive grantmaking and research and learning initiatives to inform and expand Schusterman’s criminal justice program. The Director reports to the Co-President, who leads this team and the criminal justice program.
- Develop and frame grantmaking and related strategies to advance Schusterman’s agenda in the area of criminal justice.
- Create and manage a grant portfolio and grant relationships with relevant organizations and initiatives, including:
- Solicit, review and analyze grant applications to build strategic program and ensure compliance with Schusterman policies and standards.
- Oversee preparation of grant agreements, including grant outcomes, report requirements and methods of evaluation, as well as ensure grants are tracked and monitored.
- Coordinate complementary grant programs and approach to narrative and communications, designed to enhance impact and delivery of services and support.
- Support our co-sponsorship of the Justice and Mobility Fund managed by Blue Meridian Partners
- Initiate and oversee relevant research and evaluation efforts to ensure ongoing learning and effectiveness.
- Represent and support Schusterman in funding collaboratives, partnerships, and convenings to advance its criminal justice program.
- Forge philanthropic partnerships and facilitate working relationships among funders and foundations, as well as with key leaders and stakeholders in the field.
- Track and report on Schusterman's criminal justice portfolio, program and grant budgets.
- Uphold and promote the mission and values of Schusterman.
The following qualifications are representative of the high level of demonstrated skills, maturity, judgment and ability to work with a wide range of constituencies required of Schusterman employees:
- An advanced degree in public policy, criminal justice, law or a related field is preferred.
- At least 10 years relevant working experience is required, preferably including senior level and practical experience with the US criminal justice system.
- Excellent verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills necessary to develop cooperative and effective working relationships with supervisory personnel, co-workers, colleagues, grantees, partners, and the general public required.
- Demonstrated expertise in the criminal justice field required.
- Strategic and leadership skills, including the ability to design and implement a strategic plan required.
- Strong track record in building and managing complex partnerships, portfolios and programs required.
- Proven ability to successfully manage professionals, portfolios and programs required.
- Possess a sophisticated knowledge of political and ideological currents in the field, and a clear capacity to navigate them diplomatically and skillfully required.
- Demonstrated and compelling presentation skills required
- Analytic and research abilities necessary to plan grant programs and activities, collect and evaluate data, and identify opportunities to utilize Schusterman resources effectively required.
- Excellent judgment, an ability to exercise discretion and tact in difficult or confidential situations and an ability to project a positive, professional image to the public required.
- A commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion required.
- PC skills (with proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint), as well as a thorough knowledge of: (a) modern office practices and procedures; (b) the use of office machines and equipment; and (c) basic web skills and comfort required. Knowledge of Fluxx preferred.
- Ability to travel up to 30%, with occasional international, required.
The Charles and Lynn Schusterman Family Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Schusterman promotes diversity and provides equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identify, gender expression, religious creed, disability, genetic information, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or military and veteran status. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
More searches like this
- Legal Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Program / Project Management Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Public Policy / Administration Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.