Director of Communications
- Experience Level
The purpose of this position is to provide coordination, support and implementation of the Association’s communications process, to plan and execute strategies and activities that enhance the internal and external image of the organization and to provide for clarity and effectiveness of the Association’s communications with city officials, other key decision makers and the public.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Supervises, directs and evaluates assigned staff relative to the implementation of Association goals, objectives, strategies and activities.
- Identifies, assesses and communicates information regarding emerging trends and developments on key policy issues to member cities and the media.
- Provides or insures appropriate responses to inquiries from GMA member cities and GMA staff regarding communications issues.
- Serves as primary contact for media inquiries and coordinates media responses and communication.
- Develops and directs strategies and standards for maintaining and enhancing GMA’s internal and external corporate image and collaborates with other GMA staff to offer advice and support for communications projects and activities within their respective area.
- Directs the Associations branding efforts to ensure consistent, concise and cohesive messaging.
- Manages the Associations website.
- Manages the Associations video creation and content for internal and external sources.
- Serves as editorial director for the Georgia’s Cities magazine.
- Develops and directs strategies and standards for maintaining and enhancing GMA’s social media presence.
- Provides overall direction for content development and creative presentation for principal GMA communications in print and digital formats.
- Coordinates and organizes publicity events for GMA.
- Coordinates and manages GMA’s Public Relations initiatives.
- Performs Integrated Marketing Communications to promote GMA services and manage the GMA brand.
- Oversees the production of videos.
- Assists in the training of city officials by teaching Media and Community Relations and Public Presentations.
- Assists in preparing speeches and scripts for GMA meetings.
- Reviews news clippings; distributes to appropriate staff.
- Ensures effective responses to media inquiries as well as utilization of the media to promote the Association’s message.
A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (with a Master’s degree preferred) in communications, journalism, public administration, or related field; five years of experience in public administration, intergovernmental relations or a related field; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Supervisory experience required.