- Position Type
- Full Time
The Communications Specialist (CS) manages communications and marketing activities for the Pro Bono Center. The position supports the Executive Director as a staff liaison to volunteer leadership committees, helps implement strategic plan initiatives and oversees various ad hoc projects. The CS also provides research, writing, and administrative assistance to support our efforts to mobilize lawyers to provide pro bono legal services to low-income residents of the District of Columbia. The position reports to the Pro Bono Center’s Executive Director (ED).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In coordination with the Assistant Director for Development, plans and executes all marketing and communications efforts to motivate D.C. Bar members to support the Pro Bono Center. Also supports the fundraising program under the direction of the Assistant Director for Development. Duties include planning, producing, creating, editing, and posting original editorial and advertising content including photography and video for the Pro Bono Center website, Washington Lawyer magazine, electronic Bar Bulletin, Smart Brief, Pro Bono Center newsletter, and social media channels. Collects marketing analytics and implements strategies to optimize fundraising and communication efforts.
- Liaises with the D.C. Bar’s Communications Department and serves as the primary point person for all marketing channels to promote the Pro Bono Center’s programs, pro bono opportunities, and relevant pro bono-related content from partner legal services providers and the access-to-justice community. Also coordinates with the Bar’s Communications Department to promote Pro Bono Center content on the Bar’s social media channels.
- Manages, updates, and edits the Pro Bono Center’s website and is the Pro Bono Center’s point person for the Bar’s website redesign project. Manages the Pro Bono Center’s use of web-based communications/editing tools including CommonSpot, Kentico, Piktochart, and Adobe Creative Cloud suite. Manages the Pro Bono Center’s social media channels, including Twitter and YouTube.
- Responsible for producing annual reports and special projects, including the Pro Bono Law Firm and Lawyer of the Year Awards, the Pro Bono Center’s Annual Report, and the Pro Bono Initiative survey and report.
- Supports the ED for Pro Bono Center staff and volunteer leadership committee meetings by developing and distributing agendas, materials, and minutes, and coordinating audio-visual requirements and logistics.
- Supports the Pro Bono Center’s volunteer training program, including promoting training opportunities and creating marketing materials for D.C. Bar members distributed through Bar-wide communications and social media platforms. CS also coordinates with the Training & Volunteer Specialist to develop a marketing calendar for each training season. CS occasionally staffs the registration desk for trainings and serves as backup for onsite training sessions.
- Conducts substantive research for program committees and special projects. Drafts reports, memoranda, marketing and publicity materials, and correspondence.
- Staffs program activities including committee meetings, annual Presidents Reception, Pro Bono Partnership Luncheons, and external events.
- Staffs the Immigration Legal Advice & Referral Clinic, which is held on a Saturday four times a year. Conducts outreach and manages all non-attorney volunteers and interpreters for the clinic.
- Serves as backup in responding to attorneys and paralegals seeking pro bono opportunities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS from an accredited college or university with a minimum of two years of relevant work experience. Experience in a legal work environment preferred.
- Ability to multi-task, manage multiple and changing priorities, be deadline and detail- oriented, and to work in a fast-paced environment with limited supervision.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, proficient grammar and editing skills, and ability to conduct independent research. Proficiency in Spanish a plus.
- Excellent proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically with Word and Excel.
- Familiarity with database software for customer relationship management (CRM), association membership (AMS), e-mail marketing, website content management such as CommonSpot and Kentico, and web-based design tools such as Piktochart and the Adobe Creative Cloud suite.
- Understanding of and experience with social media networking tools such as Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
- Excellent organizational skills and must be adaptable, creative, and self-motivated. Must be able to exercise excellent judgment.
- Must interact well in a team environment and deliver excellent customer service to Bar members, clients, volunteers, the public, and staff.
- Experience developing office-wide systems and protocols preferred.
- Ability to handle and maintain the confidentiality of highly sensitive information.
Under the Bar’s compensation structure, this position is a grade 3. This is an exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience. The D.C. Bar Pro Bono Center has an excellent benefits package.
This is not an attempt to list all essential functions of this position. Job duties may change over time, based on the Pro Bono Center’s needs.
The D.C. Bar Pro Bono Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested individuals must apply online and submit a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples.