Senior Project Manager
- Experience Level
Job Title: Senior Project Manager
Revision Date: July 22, 2019
FLSA Status: Exempt
Supervisor: Executive Director
We are B’nai B’rith Housing (BBH) a regional nonprofit housing developer whose mission is to ease the housing crisis in the Greater Boston area. Affordable housing is about strengthening neighborhoods, creating thriving cities, and giving every individual the opportunity to share in our area’s economic prosperity. Serving those in the community who are most vulnerable, B’nai B’rith Housing is guided by the values of chesed (love and kindness between people) and tikkun olam (repairing the world) from the Jewish tradition—universal values which connect us to other traditions and each other. While our work is non-sectarian in nature, these values serve as the guideposts of our work based in service to humanity, inclusion of others, and commitment to human dignity and prosperity for all.
We are producers of quality housing that creates homes for people otherwise left behind by the current market. We provide housing for all regardless of religion or background and are proud to say that more than a dozen ethnicities and immigrant communities are represented in the communities that we have created. We are activists and provide a platform for young advocates and up-and-coming leaders in the real estate industry to get involved in finding solutions for the housing crisis. We are entrepreneurs who harness expertise and resources from local, state, regional, and national agencies, financial institutions, the real estate industry, and affordable housing leaders. We are coalition builders who know that successful developments are built when parties are unified around a shared vision and craft housing solutions that meet community need. Understanding and enhancing the life of local residents is our goal. We focus on quality and integrity in our buildings and in our relationships with the communities in which we work. We are incredibly proud of our stellar reputation.
The Senior Project Manager is one of the most important positions needed for B’nai B’rith Housing to succeed in its mission to ease the housing crisis by producing a steady stream of high quality, affordable housing, throughout Greater Boston. The successful Senior Project Manager will support the mission of the organization by joining the management team to plan, develop and manage multifamily residential development from beginning to end.
Major responsibilities comprise all aspects of new project acquisition, preparing complex project budgets, assembling project funding, conducting negotiations, managing consultants, managing construction, and overseeing project marketing. Specific responsibilities include:
• Coordinate planning and development of real estate projects,
• Solicit, research and analyze potential sites for acquisition,
• Responsible for securing site control (including for publicly owned sites, responsible for all aspects of developing and marketing redevelopment proposals for municipal review through selective processes),
• Responsible for conducting all property due diligence, including but not limited to, analyzing underlying zoning, and permitting and approvals pathways for prospective housing opportunities,
• Establish project teams and supervise consultants. Hire, manage and coordinate work done by project architects, engineers, development consultants, attorneys, and other professional staff,
• Coordinate all aspects of the land development approval process including all presentations and engagement with the public,
• Coordinate design work including community planning, permitting, zoning,
• Lead project team on all aspects of construction planning, scope development during preconstruction including review of cost estimates, value engineering and contractor selection and bidding,
• Develop and manage project budgets, and directly report to Executive Director for predevelopment expenditure expectations, development cash-flow and development capital requirements,
• Prepare funding applications; and plan and implement competitive selection processes to secure predevelopment, construction and permanent financing and equity resources from private and government lenders and investors,
• Oversee, negotiate and coordinate project finance closings,
• Responsible for all project documentation, loan agreements, equity documents and partnership agreements,
• Provide project management services during the construction phase, including preparing requisitions,
• Oversee marketing through full property occupancy. Coordinate with property management and marketing team. In early phases, ensure the design is appropriate and marketable to target demographic. In later phases, manage team to achieve successful lease up or sell out for timely completion,
• Represent BBH with members of the public, public officials, funders and other stakeholders,
• Provide information and staffing support to relevant boards and committees,
• Provide additional support, as may be needed from time to time, to assist coworkers and help with special projects.
Master’s Degree in relevant field such as planning, finance, or community development (or work experience equivalent) is preferred,
Proven experience (at least 3-5 years) in real estate development and housing production,
Experience in meeting with local officials and with constituencies from diverse backgrounds,
Proficiency in financial analysis (cash flow, rental vs. condominium scenario modeling, development pro-forma) using Microsoft Excel.
Highly organized and proficient at preparing written documentation and spreadsheets,
Experience with contract administration,
Excellent computer skills including spreadsheet analysis, database management, and word processing,
Knowledge of multifamily residential housing development,
Familiarity with Massachusetts affordable housing policies and programs a plus,
Experience with the permitting of and regulatory requirements of public financing for affordable housing, including low-income housing tax credits and HUD financing programs.
Ability to work independently, manage multiple priorities and solve problems expeditiously,
Ability to work in a team and to contribute actively and appropriately,
Excellent employment references,
A valid driver’s license and have access to an automobile and/or public transportation for offsite work related meetings,
This position requires some weekend and evening hours.
Essential Physical Functions that may be done with or without a reasonable accommodation:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
This is largely a sedentary role. However, in some instances this would require the ability to push, pull, and lift up to 20 pounds, and able to bend, twist and reach.
Standard office equipment, including computer, fax, copier, scanner, telephone.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
OUR HIRING PROCESS & TIMELINE
Send your resume with a cover letter describing how your education and experience have prepared you for this position at BBH. Applications without cover letters will not be reviewed. Send materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Full-time, exempt position. We believe in work-life balance, and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
21 days of PTO, 10 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule
This position does require occasional evenings and weekends.
Competitive benefit package.
B’nai B’rith Housing does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
This is an exciting time for growth at BBH – we need your energy and enthusiasm. If you are looking for a job that you can be excited about and want to work for a place that is creating real, positive change here in Massachusetts, apply today!