Children’s Ministry Director
- Experience Level
Children’s Ministry Director (Full-Time)
JOB TYPE: EXEMPT, FULL-TIME, SALARY
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Executive Pastor
OVERVIEW: The Children’s Ministry Director provides administrative and spiritual direction and oversight for the children’s ministry. Working closely with the Executive Pastor, they are responsible for the implementation and development of programming that will enhance, support, and strengthen the students‘ spiritual formation, growth and development of faith in Jesus Christ, knowledge and confidence in evangelism, worship, prayer, commitment to the church, and healthy relationships with others. The Children’s Ministry Director will be responsible for overseeing the ethical, God-honoring, and efficient processes, procedures, and initiatives regarding volunteer involvement, safety, events and activities, and bridging effective communication between families and church leadership.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Creates a warm, safe, and loving environment for all children and parents that supports learning and relationship building with peers, teachers, and Christ.
- Oversees the programming and ministry for the children’s department, including children aged infancy- 8th grade, with regard to Sunday mornings, evenings, mid-week service, ACTS Kids ministry, summer programming, special events, etc.
- Serves as the primary spiritual and directional leader over the children’s ministry, providing vision, programming, education, spiritual environment, and implementing procedures and systems for children, teaching staff, and volunteers that is congruent with the cultural DNA of the church and its leadership.
- Develops a specific vision and strategy to reach new children and families in the surrounding communities and connect them to the church.
- Selects and/or approves curriculum for each program and each age level that will facilitate optimal learning and spiritual growth.
- Performs a periodic review of curriculum effectiveness with considerations from teachers and parents.
- Plans, implements, and coordinates special events and periodic church-wide activities for the children aged infancy- 8th grade at the church (holidays, themed events, special occasions, etc.).
- Assimilates children within the life of the church and provides opportunities for participation in worship services.
- Serves as a communication liaison between Pastor and families, developing collaborative and supportive relationships; Facilitates ongoing communication with parents regarding lessons and activities and maintains a supportive and collaborative relationship with each family.
- Leads and oversees the children’s leadership and volunteer team. Facilitates, oversees, and approves recruitment, training, and coordination of ministry servants for all services, activities, and events.
- Develops a healthy leadership structure by recruiting and raising up key leaders who will oversee the primary areas of the ministry.
- Ensures that a high level of integrity, safety, and productivity of ministry space is maintained at all times; Reviews and implements child protection policies/practices.
- Provides biblical counseling and admonition as needed.
- Assists with strategies and plans for children’s ministry programs for future church launches.
- Maintains all master class rosters and updated directory of all classrooms, teachers, and volunteers.
- Orders teachers’ lessons and/or related supplies as needed.
- Leads quarterly meetings for all teaching staff and volunteers.
- Attends and participates in weekly team and staff meetings along with regular pastoral meetings.
- Performs other duties as requested.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Possess a love and commitment to the growth and development of all children
- Possess spiritual integrity and good character with a positive attitude about self, others, and responsibilities
- Possess excellent leadership and verbal communication skills
- Possess excellent written, organization, multi-tasking, and time management skills
- Possess keen attention to detail and the ability to meet time-sensitive deadlines
- Ability to prioritize workflow and juggle multiple projects at once
- Ability to drive workflow from others and independently execute tasks with little to no oversight
- Possess great interpersonal skills and the willingness to maintain great working relationships with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to defuse and resolve difficult situations, and exercise keen discernment in decision making
- Upholds a high level of honesty, confidentiality, and discretion at all times
- Testimony of Salvation and evidence of living a life above reproach
- Five or more years of full-time ministry and/or experience caring for children
- Evidence of faithfulness and good stewardship of God’s resources
- No moral failure in the last 5 years
- Meets biblical qualifications for pastoral leadership
- Two or more years of ministry experience
- Loves and enjoys being with and interacting with people
- Ability to adapt quickly within a growing church environment
- Ability to set and achieve goals and provide directional leadership
- Knowledge of different uses of technology in ministry
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications including Excel, Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint
- Previous organizational leadership experience directing a large children’s ministry (100+ children), including leadership of ministry staff (paid or volunteer)
- Ministry credentials obtained or in pursuit of them
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This job operates majorly in an indoor church environment, yet traveling may be required periodically for different types of trainings, events, and engagements. The incumbent must occasionally lift or move items up to 50 pounds unassisted. This position is representative of a moderately active lifestyle and will most often require long periods of walking, bending, kneeling, sitting, and standing.