Executive Director, Riverside, CA; Remote
- Experience Level
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Executive Director
Location: Riverside, CA; Remote
Reports To: Board of Directors and Director, Council Development (Western Region)
FLSA Status: Full-time, 40 hours/week; Exempt
Girls on the Run Riverside County is a local nonprofit organization that operates in agreement with Girls on the Run International and is dedicated to creating a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams. We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running. Our program is currently in the start-up phase, with the goal of serving 150+ girls in our inaugural Spring 2020 season.
Girls on the Run believes that all girls and communities should have access to our programs. We strive to eliminate barriers to participation, to continue creating programming that engages all communities, to be intentional about staff and volunteer diversity and to promote a culture of inclusion across the organization.
The Executive Director is a highly skilled nonprofit professional that provides leadership, vision and direction to the council and the broader Girls on the Run organization. The Executive Director represents the council to the public, leads organizational development and strategic planning, optimizes financial performance, oversees program delivery in the designated territory, builds donor relationships and oversees personnel. The Executive Director works closely with the council Board of Directors, Girls on the Run International Headquarters and is responsible for expanding systems and procedures to accomplish the mission and reach the strategic goals set forth by the board.
The Executive Director develops organizational strategy, sound practices and supportive relationships, both internally and externally, resulting in cooperative and effective collaborations that further the mission of Girls on the Run. The best candidate will have proven experience creating, developing and growing organizations. She/he will have a strong entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to get things done across different functional areas.
The Girls on the Run® Executive Director (ED) must possess a passion for, and commitment to, improving the lives and opportunities of girls in third through eighth grades. The Girls on the Run program provides a safe and interactive way to learn about healthy living which includes an introduction and education on important topics such as goal setting, cooperation, healthy decision-making, and self-respect, while training for a 5K event. The innovative curriculum teaches girls to listen and open up while also encouraging them to commit to a healthy lifestyle and harness the inner strength that they possess. Our important mission is accomplished by giving girls the tools to make positive choices for a healthy body and mind, while reducing the many risks they face today.
The Girls on the Run Executive Director is responsible for the overall implementation of the Girls on the Run mission. The Executive Director reports to a Regional Director at HQ with a joint reporting relationship with the Girls on the Run local Board of Directors. The Executive Director’s job responsibilities include developing and implementing the overall strategy and vision for the Girls on the Run program and all organizational and operational aspects of Girls on the Run including its administration, financial operations, revenue generation, program development and activities, personnel management and strategic planning. Some of the key responsibilities falling within these areas include:
Operational and Staff Management
- Attracting, developing and retaining highly skilled volunteers
- Developing and fostering a strong and open dialogue with the Board of Directors and Girls on the Run International
Program Development and Strategic Planning
- Planning, in coordination with the Board and staff, for the direction and leadership of the overall program; develops and implements a council growth plan the addresses program and site development strategies
- Ensuring the successful participation of quality programming
- Demonstrating an understanding of GOTR Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and tracking progress toward meeting organizational goals
- Cultivating relationships with coaches, donors, parents, participants, sponsors and volunteers
- Oversee management of end of season 5ks
- Acting as ambassador to represent Girls on the Run’s mission and programs
Ensure that the organization is in compliance with all laws and guidelines governing nonprofit organizations and the Girls on the Run International Membership Agreement, policies and guidelines.
- Developing and implementing necessary policies and procedures
- In coordination with the Board, identifying and planning for infrastructure growth to parallel growth of program
- Establishing efficient business systems and strategies and ensuring appropriate implementation
- Maintaining ethical standards and accountability, manage risk, perform due diligence, and implement operational best practices
- Executing all financial, operational and programmatic reports to GOTR-I and to state and local funding agencies in a timely manner
Fund development and Community Relations – with appropriate committees and board
- Developing diverse funding streams and long-term plans to best support the mission and goals of the organization
- Overseeing fundraising efforts including sponsorship, donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, grants, special events, etc.
- Actively participating in donor cultivation and solicitation
- Developing collaborative projects/partnerships with other community providers
- Developing relationships with the local media and serve as the Girls on the Run primary contact to market the program and build additional community support
- Partnering with Girls on the Run International to maximize Cause Related Marketing and other national opportunities locally
Finance – with Treasurer, GOTR HQ finance staff and appropriate committees
- Ensuring optimal financial performance of the council
- Maintaining processes for proper record keeping and internal financial controls
- Assisting Board of Directors with development and management of annual budget
- With the Treasurer and finance staff, reviewing and reporting all financial activities to the board on a regular basis
- Reviewing analysis of financial activities (income and expense) to discern trends, identify areas of improvement, address problems and develop forecasts
The ideal candidate will be comfortable engaging in both strategic activities as well as taking a hands-on role with regards to program execution and administrative issues.
- BA or BS degree
- Minimum of three to five years of demonstrated experience with organizational management
- Demonstrated ability of building and leading teams
- Passion for the Girls on the Run mission and the ability to comprehend and effectively communicate issues surrounding empowerment, self-esteem, body image and whole-person health
- Outstanding communication skills in multiple environments and with a range of audiences (internal and external)
- Demonstrated experience setting and managing budgets and financial forecasting
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and make efficient decisions
- Flexible and adaptable
- Located in relatively close proximity to Riverside County, California
- Advanced degree in related field
- Strategic planning experience
- Experience with Girls on the Run (or other similar youth or wellness programs)
- Nonprofit management experience
- Fundraising experience
- Experience working with a Board of Directors
- Connections to the local community
This position is offering a compensation of $45,000 - $48,000, depending on experience. Girls on the Run International offers a generous PTO plan, medical, dental and vision coverage, life insurance, paid medical leave, 401k plan with employer match and professional development opportunities.
Interested applicants should apply online at https://www.girlsontherun.org/work-with-us/. The application deadline is December 2, 2019.