Membership Services Assistant
- Experience Level
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Chicago, Miami, and Washington, DC.
The Membership Services Assistant supports the implementation of a comprehensive cultivation and stewardship program for members of the Justice Partners, donors who contribute $1,000 to $35,000 annually. The Membership Services Assistant provides support to the program through communication with donors, accurate entry of donor information, maintaining donor lists and records, and overseeing timelines and deliverables for stewardship projects.
This position reports to the Justice Partners Manager. The Membership Services Assistant must be able to build constructive and effective relationships with the development team, administrative, and program staff. This position is based in San Francisco, CA.
Stewardship and Donor Systems (70%)
- Build relationships with donors via phone calls and email communication.
- Review and ensure accuracy of mailing and recognition lists.
- Maintain functional knowledge of Earthjustice’s current and past program work in preparation for donor inquiries.
- Draft routine correspondence.
- Oversee timelines and coordinate review of deliverables.
- Implement special mailings to Justice Partners, including vendor coordination.
- Answer general donor gift calls and inquiries as part of the Outreach and Membership Services team.
Project and Systems Management (20%)
- Ensure the accurate recording of donor information and activities in the donor database and provide quality control in collaboration with Data Services and other teams.
- Categorize and track inquiries from donors and prospective donors.
- Catalogue direct marketing, event invitations, and stewardship mailings and track key decisions and segmentation for periodic review.
- Review realignment and visit requests, prospect lists, and contact reports and record relevant information including next steps.
- Share relevant program information with internal colleagues about the Justice Partners program.
- Monitor and remain apprised trends in philanthropy.
- Recommend and implement solutions to improve outreach efforts, processes, and systems.
- Create project timelines and maintain a master calendar of donor engagement activities that is shared with other departments.
- Assist as needed with Justice Partners events and invitations.
Continued Learning around Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (10%)
- Proactively pursue and utilize internal and external resources to support a personal and professional development journey that increases awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Participate in internal committees and working groups to further institutional priorities and build an inclusive and equitable work environment that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Ensure the incorporation of inclusive practices in all facets of Justice Partners fundraising and stewardship efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of two years’ relevant experience, or Associate’s degree plus a minimum of five years of relevant experience required.
- Minimum of two years of experience in fundraising, stewardship, and/or marketing within a non-profit or philanthropic work environment preferred.
- Exemplary organizational skills, including ability to handle multiple tasks, manage mail calendars, meet deadlines, and prioritize assignments.
- Superior communication skills, including in written correspondence, reports, and other print collateral.
- Ability to absorb and synthesize a broad range of information and communicate it in an understandable manner, vocally and in writing.
- Meticulous attention to detail, including excellent proofreading and copy-editing skills.
- Solid knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Outlook. Database management skills required, with ability to produce reports and use advanced functions, including sophisticated knowledge of the Internet.
- Working knowledge of a constituent relationship management (CRM) system or donor database such as the Raiser’s Edge or Blackbaud eCRM.
- Professional, positive, and approachable attitude. Ability to work and communicate with a diverse group of people, including donors, volunteers, the public, and staff.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Background and/or interest in environmental issues preferred.
- Experience with brand consistency and direct marketing desired
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Salary is based on location and experience.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $52,900 - $58,800
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit the following materials online via the Jobvite system:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample
Click here to apply: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oW1pbfwh&s=work_for_good
Please, no phone calls, hard copies, or drop-ins. If you're having technical difficulties submitting your application, reach out to email@example.com
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.