Labor and Climate Policy Specialist (Associate/Full Specialist)
- Degree Level
Open date: October 3rd, 2019
Next review date: Thursday, Oct 17, 2019 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Friday, Jan 10, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The UC Berkeley Labor Center is seeking a Labor and Climate Policy Specialist to support research, education, and policy projects in our Green Economy Program. This is a full-time appointment for two years, with the possibility of renewal depending on funding and performance.
Founded in 1964, the Labor Center is a public service arm of the university within the UC Berkeley Institute for Research and Labor and Employment. The Labor Center provides timely, policy-relevant research on labor and employment issues for policymakers and stakeholders, conducts training for a new and diverse generation of worker leaders and students, and provides thought leadership on key issues affecting workers, including the climate crisis and its solutions.
The mission of the Labor Center's Green Economy program is to advance solutions to the climate crisis that create good jobs in low-carbon industries, support workers in declining industries, and engage unions and workers in the transition to a low carbon and sustainable economy. The senior analyst will work with the Green Economy Program Director and stakeholders to carry out new research, education, and field initiatives that seek to bridge the “jobs vs. environment” divide. This is a senior position, and includes developing and leading initiatives, supervising staff, fundraising, and contributing to organizational leadership.
This position offers an exciting opportunity to be part of a high-impact, high-visibility organization and to work with a nationally-recognized team of researchers, policy analysts, and academics.
• Providing assistance to and collaborating with policy-makers, labor, industry, environmental and racial justice stakeholders, as well as university researchers and students.
• Developing and conducting a research agenda in support of the program's goals and objectives.
• Overseeing the planning and implementation of policy, education and implementation projects.
• Representing the Center and the Green Economy program to the public and the media.
• Making public presentations to stakeholder organizations, unions, and policy makers on climate policy and workforce issues.
• Contributing to research reports and policy briefs, and drafting op-eds and public testimony.
Appointments at the Full Specialist level will also entail:
• Serving as lead author on research and policy reports.
• Helping to secure research grants/contracts and serving as a Principal Investigator.
• Additional leadership responsibilities within the Labor Center.
Basic qualifications (required at time of application):
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent international degree
Additional qualifications (required at start date):
• If Bachelor's degree (or equivalent international degree), then 5 years policy research experience
• If Master's degree (or equivalent international degree), then 3 years policy research experience
• 7-10 years of work experience conducting policy research, education, program implementation, project management and/or management experience, demonstrating leadership in a social justice arena that addresses jobs and environment.
• Masters degree or equivalent in public policy, economics, sociology, or a related field
• Demonstrated writing skills geared toward policy research reports
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to work well with university faculty, staff and students, policy makers, advocates and industry stakeholders as well as labor leaders and rank and file workers
• Issue expertise in both labor and energy/climate policy across a variety of sectors, such as renewable energy, energy efficiency, etc.
• A background in industrial relations is especially valuable
• A background in workforce development is valuable
• Relationships with California stakeholders in labor and climate is valuable
Additional preferred qualifications for full Specialist level:
• MA degree or equivalent plus 10 year of experience or PhD with some relevant experience in policy research, education, or project management
Position will be full-time; salary will be commensurate with experience. Expected start date is January 2020. Position is for two years with the possibility of renewal based on funding and performance.
To apply, go to https://apptrkr.com/1649599. Contact information for 3 references are required, however, letters of reference are not required at this time. We will seek your permission before contacting your references. All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality (https://apo.berkeley.edu/ucb-confidentiality-policy) prior to submitting their letters.
This position will remain open until filled. Please address any inquiries to Anhara Alexander, mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
More information about this recruitment: https://irle.berkeley.edu/
• Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
• Cover Letter
• Two writing samples
• Statement of Research (Optional)
• 3 required (contact information only)
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.