Senior Level Accountant
- Experience Level
Senior Level Accountant
Director of Accounting
Agency Summary: Shelter Ministries of Dallas is a non-profit organization whose mission is to shelter homeless and victims of domestic violence and to provide a continuum of care and services to help enable positive life changes.
Position Summary: Provides strong support to the accounting team and connected staff through functions related to data entry, accounts payable, receivables, coding/data accuracy, financial reports, restricted fund analysis, payroll processing, audits (annual financial audit and retirement plan audit), tax returns, quarterly tax reports and general office operations to help ensure the goals and objectives of Shelter Ministries of Dallas will be achieved in a cost effective and efficient manner. Help ensure Shelter Ministries of Dallas is in full-compliance with governmental, financial and organizational rules and regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
General Daily Work: Involved in all accounting functions, included (but not limited to):
- helps make correcting, adjusting and year-end journal entries
- creates and prepares financial reports for internal and helps with external reporting needs
- prepares accurate and thorough pre-audit reports & works directly with auditor/s to provide documentation necessary to ensure a clean audit
- reconciles all bank statements monthly
- helps ensure financial policies and procedures are consistently available to all staff and recommends adjustments when discrepancies or changes occur
- helps maintain strict internal financial controls, including ensuring that proper segregation of duties is achieved
- maintains and updates internal procedural manual for the finance office as well as the manual provided to external staff
- helps consistently analyze and identify expense concentrations and aberrations
- helps monitor cash flow needs of the organization
- helps maintain integrity of accounting database and performs regularly scheduled backups of all data
Payroll: Assists in timely processing of payroll (from timesheets through direct deposit & required reports/submissions) and generates reports as needed. Process entire payroll on occasion.
Reports/Statistics: Provides accurate reports and statistics on a timely basis, including required data for funding requests by the Fund Development and Grant Management teams.
- maintains records needed to prepare annual budget and cash flow reports
- works with Director of Accounting and management staff in developing annual budget
- monitors activities and reports to determine compliance with budget
Programs: ensures program staff is providing client services in accordance with budget, cash flow and donor restrictions by monitoring account coding provided to the finance department and maintaining active communication
- attends organization special event functions, as needed, and ensure that proper internal controls are in place to safeguard funds collected
- represents the organization at community events, as needed
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and/or business (accounting preferred).
- Previous experience with non-profit finances and accounting.
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments.
- In depth experience with Excel
- Abila MIP Accounting database experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of New Markets Tax Credits is a plus.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Accuracy: Maintain accuracy in all financial, operational, and related duties. Must be committed to proofing own work, in addition to work completed by others, in order to ensure accuracy at all times.
- Administrative: Help ensure efficient organization and management of financial, operational, and related functions to support delivery of services.
- Concentration: Must be able to accurately maintain financial and statistical data according to general accounting principles and best practices.
- Confidential Data: Maintain strict confidentiality of all payroll and personnel data, client information, and donor information.
- Deadlines: Must be able to consistently adhere to all timelines and meet all required deadlines.
- Decision making and judgment: Makes appropriate, methodical, and timely decisions as part of maintaining all financial and personnel records.
- Technology: Must have advanced level knowledge of Excel with the ability to quickly generate spreadsheets as needed and to maintain details regarding restricted funds
To perform the job successfully, an individual will demonstrate a high level attainment of the following competencies:
Achievement Focus – 15%
Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles. Measures self against standard of excellence. Recognizes and acts on opportunities. Sets and achieves challenging goals. Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Analytical Skills – 35%
Collects and researches data. Continually analyzes workflows and procedures. Identifies data relationships and dependencies.
Communications – 15%
Exhibits good listening and comprehension. Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form. Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally. Keeps others adequately informed. Selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Planning and Organization – 15%
Integrates changes smoothly. Plans for additional resources. Prioritizes and plans work activities. Sets goals and objectives. Uses time efficiently. Works in an organized manner.
Problem Solving – 20%
Develops alternative solutions. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Identifies problems in a timely manner.
The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.