Advocacy & Community Engagement Manager
- Experience Level
The Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California (NPH), an affordable housing advocacy organization based in San Francisco and working throughout the nine-county Bay Area region, seeks an Advocacy & Community Engagement Manager. The ideal candidate will be organized, collaborative and passionate about power building with low-income communities and communities of color, advancing affordable housing solutions, and the role it plays in achieving racial and economic justice.
This new position will assist NPH in growing public support for affordable homes through innovative campaigns that organize members and coalition stakeholders on the local and regional level, and issue advocacy with targeted community engagement activities.
NPH is a non-profit 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization founded in 1979. We activate our members to make the Bay Area a place where everyone has an affordable and stable home. We are 750 affordable housing developers, advocates, community leaders, and businesses working to secure resources, promote good policy, educate the public, and support affordable homes as the foundation for thriving individuals, families and neighborhoods. Our vision is a future where everyone has a place to call home and where low-income communities, and communities of color, stay and prosper in the Bay Area. NPH is dedicated to advancing racial and economic equity and inclusion in the communities we serve, in our organization, and in the affordable housing industry and movement.
NPH is an Equal Opportunity Employer
NPH is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ persons, people of different levels of physical ability, and all qualified persons to apply for this position.
The Advocacy & Community Engagement Manager will support the implementation and expansion of our advocacy and engagement initiatives through work that includes data collection and analysis; program development and implementation; coalition building and member engagement; affordable housing resident engagement and voter programs; and campaign administration. The Advocacy & Community Engagement Manager reports to the Director of Advocacy & Community Engagement and works with a collaborative team of NPH staff, as well as with NPH members and advocacy partners. The work of the Advocacy & Community Engagement Manager is critical in helping NPH advance successful advocacy and electoral work. This is an exempt, full-time position.
Duties and Responsibilities
Political Data and Analysis (20%)
- Support NPH electoral and legislative campaigns through research, targeting, and analysis for current and future campaigns for affordable housing and housing justice in the Bay Area.
- Develop a knowledge and understanding of NPH members and partners to strategically engage them in lead-up and roll-out of affordable housing campaigns.
Training and Field Organizing Activities (20%)
- Support Director of Advocacy & Community Engagement to coordinate field organizing activities by members, partners, and allies by providing materials and organizing trainings.
- Coordinate a program of field organizing activities with NPH members and partners to support in the development of materials, talking points, and scripts for communications to voters and the general public.
- Help coordinate and conduct training programs for NPH member organizations, regional partners and affordable housing residents.
- Support and coordinate NPH members’ resident services teams to carry out affordable housing resident voter registration, education and engagement.
Coalition Building Across the Region (20%)
- Represent NPH in communities across the Bay Area to build a stronger network of informed, action-oriented NPH members and allies.
- Connect the NPH network of advocates, allies, members, and residents in a coordinated series of activities.
- Assess and expand the network through ongoing and progressive activities.
Support NPH Programs & Team / Other Duties as Assigned (20%)
- Support NPH membership recruitment, fundraising, trainings, events, and capacity building programs as appropriate. Participate in racial equity and inclusion action planning with the team and members.
Budgets and Compliance (20%)
- Support the Director of Advocacy & Community Engagement in drafting program budgets and fundraising plans.
- Track expenditures, maintain appropriate records, and reports as required.
- Support and administer appropriate reporting and disclosure of campaign and lobbying activities.
Necessary Skills and Qualifications
- At least 4 years of experience as an advocate or organizer in campaigns and/or programs working for social justice.
- At least 4 years of experience in areas such as community organizing, advocacy work, political campaigns, outreach, public education, and communications.
- Experience with data analysis, ballot measures, and nonprofit organizations a plus;
- Experience working with diverse and multilingual communities, and advocacy for low-income individuals and families;
- Excellent planning, organizational development, and strategic thinking skills.
- Technologically savvy. Skilled with databases, spreadsheets, presentations, and voter software;
- Local travel across the Bay Area required, as well as night and weekend work, as needed;
- Individual must be a team player, able to handle multiple simultaneous tasks, be extremely organized, accurate, responsible, flexible, diplomatic and able to work well under pressure.
- Ability to work independently while maintaining good communications and collaborative relationships with staff and team.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to interact professionally with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and economic equity, and coalition building.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary range is $60,000 to 80,000. NPH offers an excellent benefit compensation package including medical and dental insurance, paid vacation, holidays and sick time, a retirement savings plan, and commuter subsidy benefit.
Applicants should email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Advocacy and Community Engagement Manager. Please include a brief writing sample from current or previous work (5 pages maximum).
Application deadline is October 18, 2019. This position is open until filled.