Sr. Legislative Counsel/Representative
- Experience Level
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Chicago, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
This position provides legislative and administrative strategy development and implementation on environmental and justice issue priorities for Earthjustice on broad issue areas on our Policy and Legislation Department’s Healthy Communities team (e.g. toxic chemicals,(pesticides, and workers’ health protections, etc.) as assigned by Supervisor.
LOBBY STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION (60%)
- Develop and implement legislative and administrative advocacy strategies relating to assigned issues.
- Directly lobby Congress and the Administration.
- Educate the Administration and Congress on key legal challenges and rulings.
- Serve as spokesperson for Earthjustice on assigned issues.
- Tracks legislation and policy initiatives relating to assigned issues.
- Works with Legislative Director and as warranted the relevant litigators and internal issue area experts to develop positions and strategies on relevant legislation and administrative actions.
- Develops lobby and education materials, including but not limited to fact sheets, letters, action alerts and blogs.
- Works with Communications Department to develop media strategies such as conducting media outreach and creating social media content, blogs and op-eds as well as other strategic communications tools on assigned issues.
- Perform policy, and legislative analysis.
- Plan and implement initiatives to educate the public and foster broader public advocacy for assigned issues.
- Develop, maintain and expand trusting relationships with staff of key decision makers.
COALITION AND PARTNERSHIPS (20-30%)
- Creates and maintains a leadership position within the DC environmental community on assigned issues, as well as with regional and local environmental and social justice communities as appropriate.
- Represent Earthjustice in coalitions and with allies on assigned issues.
- Create opportunities for partners and allies to engage in education and advocacy on assigned issues and to be engaged in strategy development as appropriate.
- Cultivate and expand the range of allies, thoughtful partnerships and coalitions in support of assigned issues.
- Facilitate and encourage relationships litigators and advocacy partners as appropriate.
- Coordinate briefings, seminars, and informational sessions with partners as well as support partners’ traditional and social media outreach as appropriate.
- Plan and execute events such as fly-ins, lobby days, etc.
INTERNAL COORDINATION/ADMINISTRATION (20%)
- Represents PAL on Earthjustice working groups related to assigned issues.
- Liaison with Earthjustice Legislative Director, relevant litigators, and communications staff working on assigned issues.
- Act as a team player, including assisting other PAL lobbyists when they are time –pressed to complete actions pertaining to their assigned issues.
- Coordinate with other PAL lobbyists on shared legislative priorities or cross-cutting issues.
- Ensure PAL V.P., Legislative Director and other PAL lobbyists are aware of the work you are doing that may impact them, for coordination, etc.
- Contribute to Earthjustice’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) mission through involvement in trainings and internal working groups.
- Ensure timely submission of attendance, time accounting and reimbursement requests.
- Manage and coordinate relationships between litigators and advocacy partners as appropriate.
- Participate and contribute in strategy meetings regarding possible or pending litigation bound to impact advocacy efforts on covered issues.
- Assist in efforts to cultivate diversity, equity and inclusion within the organization and the broader environmental community.
- Assist in fundraising efforts related to assigned issue areas as requested by the Earthjustice Development Department.
SUPERVISION (5% -- IF SUPERVISING EMPLOYEE -10%)
- Supervise projects and other efforts performed on assigned issues by Earthjustice Legislative Counsels, Representatives, Associates, Assistants, Interns or contractors.
- Senior Legislative Representative may be assigned direct supervisory responsibility for one employee.
- Seven years’ experience with the legislative process.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s in applicable field for Senior Legislative Representative.
- JD for Senior Legislative Counsel.
- Familiarity and experience with administrative rulemaking process.
- Substantial knowledge of, and experience with, the legislative process.
- Proven ability to develop and implement successful legislative and administrative strategies.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, projects and deadlines.
- Detail oriented and good organizational skills.
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills.
- Proven ability to work in coalitions and with allies.
- Significant experience working with traditional and social media.
- Proven ability to work independently and proactively.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range for Washington, DC: 105,000 – 116,000 for Senior Legislative Representative and 112,000 to 125,000 for Senior Legislative Counsel.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume online via the Jobvite system.
Click here to apply: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=o8Sjbfwe&s=work_for_good
Please, no phone calls, hard copies, or drop-ins. If you're having technical difficulties submitting your application, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Government $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Executive / Senior Management Government $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Legal Government $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Program / Project Management Government $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Public Policy / Administration Government $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.