- Experience Level
Earthjustice is accepting applications for a full- or part-time legal externship position in its Washington, D.C. office for the fall or spring semester. Applicants should be current law school students who can earn academic credit for 20-40 hours per week of work in our D.C. office on a variety of environmental litigation projects.
Earthjustice’s Washington, D.C. Office serves both as a regional office for issues arising in the mid-Atlantic states, and as a center for litigation on important national environmental issues. Our docket currently includes litigation to: challenge the Trump Administration’s attempts to roll back and delay environmental regulations; protect public health and the environment from toxic air pollution; protect streams, wetlands, drinking water supplies, and other waters from pollution and outright destruction; and advance energy efficiency and clean energy solutions. For more information, visit: http://earthjustice.org/about/offices/dc.
Under the supervision of an attorney, an extern’s primary responsibilities include such tasks as:
- Working with attorneys on case development and litigation.
- Performing legal and factual research, and to develop case strategy and legal theories.
- Assisting attorneys with preparing briefs and motions.
- Meeting with clients and experts.
- Participating in moots of oral arguments.
- Attending court proceedings and conferences with opposing counsel.
We welcome applications from current law students seeking a legal externship during the spring or fall semester of their 2L or 3L years for academic credit. Earthjustice does not offer compensation, salary, or benefits for externs.
Candidates interested in the Washington, D.C., position should submit a:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in working for Earthjustice, stating your dates of availability, and confirming that you can earn academic credit or participate as part of an academic fellowship. The best cover letters are one page and provide information about the applicant that is not apparent or fully explained in the resume.
- Unofficial law school transcript.
- Writing sample of no more than 10 pages, preferably a legal brief or memorandum. If you choose to provide an excerpt from a longer piece, please include a writing sample cover page with a paragraph orienting the reader to your analysis.
- List of 3 professional references.
Please, no phone calls, hard copies, or drop-ins.
All applications will be considered on a rolling basis. For a fall externship position, please apply before August 1. For a spring externship position, please apply before November 1.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.