- Experience Level
Make-A-Wish Greater Bay Area is one of the largest chapters in the Make-A-Wish network, the world’s largest and most successful wish granting organization. Our Chapter serves children from 17 counties from Monterey County to the Oregon border and anticipates fulfilling over 400 magical wishes this year. The impact of our wish granting is broad, as we rely on an extensive network of volunteers to make wishes come true. As we approach our 35th year as a chapter, we are embarking on a strategic direction to dramatically grow the number of wishes we are granting to eligible children and are seeking a talented and energetic individual to join our Development team.
The Development department is a five-person team responsible for raising $3.4 million from individuals in annual donations and managing the organization’s database. The Development Manager, reporting to the Senior Director of Individual Giving, is responsible for managing existing annual giving systems and processes. This position will oversee the team’s portfolios as well as their own, conduct prospect research, initial outreach and stewardship to a variety of annual and special gift donors. Other key responsibilities include managing, and further developing, the planned giving program, development, and management, of an annual giving society program, and grant writing. The successful candidate is an experienced front-line fundraiser who is passionate about our mission, a strong communicator, a team player and a creative self-starter that will take the initiative to get the job done. This is a full-time, exempt position.
Personal Portfolio Management
- Develop, cultivate, solicit and steward distinct group of prospects in support of departmental and individual yearly revenue goals
- Initiate outreach, cultivate, solicit and steward individual donors identified through direct mail, car donation, annual giving, new wish families expressing interest, and any other existing development programs or events as appropriate
Team Portfolio Management
- With CEO, Senior Director of Individual Giving, and Database Administrator, create and manage portfolio tracking systems to assess outreach activity, proposals and solicitations submitted, adjusting strategy as needed to meet fundraising objectives
FUNDRAISING PROGRAM MANAGEMENT
- Manage Planned Giving efforts of the chapter
- identify and contact planned giving prospects
- provide stewardship of donors who have already announced a commitment to planned giving
- in conjunction with the Marketing/Communications team, help develop collateral to promote the planned giving program
- develop and generate program reports; assess and adjust strategy for donor outreach as needed
- Create and develop plan for giving societies for key sets of donors (annual donors, planned giving, monthly sustaining donors, and major gifts); grow the membership in giving societies including identification, cultivation and solicitation of new prospects
- Work with Marketing/Communications team to develop donor communications plan, including regular update of website content, donor impact reports and other materials as necessary
- Manage grant program: develop, write and submit grant proposals, letters of intent and reports for corporations and foundations
- Responsible for administrative oversight of Combined Federal Campaigns
- Regularly conduct prospect research on existing and prospective donors utilizing DonorSearch and other tools
- Prepare briefings and other materials as necessary for donor meetings, cultivation and fundraising events
- Collect and prepare information for internal and external meetings (Development Committee, All fundraising staff meeting, Development team meeting, etc.)
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Understanding of and, interest in, fundraising, including donor engagement and solicitation
- BA or equivalent
- 3+ years related experience, front line fundraising experience required
- Professional demeanor in person and on the phone, strong customer service skills.
- Excellent communication, organizational and computer and database skills necessary / Raiser’s Edge experience preferred
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Interest in nonprofit work and belief in mission of organization
- Valid CA Driver’s License and access to personal car for occasional travel, if MAW vehicle is not available
- Ability to lift 40 lbs.
- Some evening and weekend commitments required
- Ideal candidate will be well organized, have excellent and prompt follow through, meet deadlines
- and love working in a fun and fast paced environment for a world-class charity!
Send a letter of interest and a resume to:
Development Manager Search
Make-A-Wish Greater Bay Area
1333 Broadway, Suite 200
Oakland, CA 94612
No phone calls, please. Position is open until filled. EOE