Human Resources Manager
- Experience Level
Veterans Empowerment Organization (VEO) was founded in 2008 to address the lack of services available to homeless veterans in Atlanta. Over the years we have served more than 5,000 veterans through transitional and permanent supportive housing, workforce initiatives, and mental health and addiction interventions in order to empower veterans on their journey to self-sufficiency. We are presently redefining our program model and making organizational changes in order to improve the way we empower veterans (men, women, and families) to achieve desired outcomes.
We are currently investing in our employees, who are critical to our mission, by engaging in a search for a Human Resources (HR) Manager. The primary function of the VEO HR Manager is to recruit, hire, and retain skilled and qualified employees. The HR Manager reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer, develops and implements HR policies and procedures, and directs and coordinates all human resources activities.
- Managing the hiring process including creating and maintaining job descriptions, advertising open positions, reviewing resumes, coordinating interviews, conducting reference and background checks, drafting and presenting offer letters.
- Managing the onboarding process for new employees.
- Maintaining up-to-date personnel information and files.
- Tracking employee performance documentation.
- Overseeing the annual employee review process.
- Maintaining the employee handbook and organizational staffing chart.
- Creating HR policies and procedures.
- Administering compensation packages, employee benefits, performance management systems, and safety programs.
- Completing and submitting paperwork to external agencies including worker’s compensation claims, unemployment claims, verification of employment, etc.
- Ensuring management actions conform to employee handbook and labor laws.
- Liaising with legal counsel to discuss HR-related issues as needed.
- Providing staff communications.
- Addressing personnel-related issues.
- Participating in disciplinary and termination meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree; Maters degree preferred
- 5 years experience in the HR field; nonprofit industry preferred
- Service orientation, especially in human services
- Excellent analytical, planning, and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interface with staff at all levels
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to maintain confidential data
- Ability to work independently