Chief Financial Officer - Planned Parenthood of Greater New York
- Experience Level
Who We Are:
After more than a century of serving New Yorkers, Planned Parenthood of New York City (PPNYC) stands strong as a trusted provider of sexual and reproductive health (SRH) care, an accurate source of sexual health information, and a steadfast partner in the ongoing fight to achieve sexual and reproductive justice.
As PPNYC looks to the future, we are laying bold, innovative plans to grow our reach and serve the city more effectively, affirming our commitment to strengthen community engagement, expand access to services, enhance patient experience, and advance health equity for all. Our strategic plan is anchored by our driving vision: building a world where all communities have full access to innovative, high-quality, evidence-based SRH services, whenever, wherever, and however they are needed.
In a major step to amplify our impact and ensure better health outcomes for all New Yorkers, PPNYC is engaged in a planned merger process with four other New York State Planned Parenthood affiliates, becoming Planned Parenthood of Greater New York*. The new, unified entity will include half of New York State’s counties, covering 65% of the state’s population. This exciting shift will allow for standardized operations and quality improvement across the merged organization’s 29 health centers – advantages that will exponentially improve our service provision for patients and communities statewide.
This is an exciting and important time at Planned Parenthood as we build on our strength with dynamic new leadership, talented staff members, engaged donors and activists, and amazing community partners. We are determined to thrive and grow in these times of transition and resistance, and significantly increase our impact, affecting hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers.
*The Planned Parenthood Federation of America and all the Boards of Directors of the Federation and of all five Planned Parenthood New York State affiliates have approved this merger. We are currently awaiting authorization by the New York State Department of Health and Attorney General, and plan to go live as the official new entity on January 1, 2020.
Why This Role:
This is an extraordinary moment for Planned Parenthood in New York State, ripe with opportunity, to build on a rich history and foundation, transform an institution that is embedded in the fabric of our city and state, and re-envision the way we deliver our mission to meet the needs of New Yorkers. The new PPGNY entity will have tremendous reach and impact, covering over half of the state’s counties (31) and 65% of its population in its urban, suburban, and rural service areas.
In addition to becoming this more expansive organization, PPGNY is also joining forces with 14 other Planned Parenthood affiliates across the country to form a clinically integrated network, leveraging this structure to have greater purchasing and negotiating power in order to better meet the needs of our patients.
As we re-envision our operations and structures for delivering the highest quality care possible, the Chief Financial Officer – along with the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Operating Officer – will be a lead thinker in how we deepen and re-imagine services. This role is much more than managing the balance sheet and ensuring accounting controls and processes are high functioning. With a deep commitment to both the fulfillment of our mission and to financial sustainability, the CFO will visualize new revenue opportunities that in turn create more opportunities for patients to have the health care experience they deserve.
Who You Are:
The CFO is a visionary, data-driven financial leader who is excited by leveraging financial statements to build a more sustainable and mission-focused business model. Ideal candidates bring finance expertise in community healthcare delivery settings, and entrepreneurial, opportunistic thinking, seeing untapped business development and new revenue opportunities that also expand access and options for patients.
Ideal candidates are equally strong in strategy, analysis, and implementation; are creative problem solvers; and are excited by change and growth. They are passionate team builders who manage and support teams with accountability. They bring an unwavering belief in our mission and conviction about health & racial equity and bodily autonomy.
What You’ll Do:
The CFO will lead the finance function of what will begin as a newly merged, $120M health care delivery enterprise, as it evolves into a non-profit affiliate which is part of a merged service organization. The CFO will also envision new, patient-centered business and revenue opportunities, as well as oversee all of our financial and accounting operations, including our c4 and PAC political financials.
Serving as a key strategic member of the executive team and reporting to the Chief Operating Officer with dotted line to the CEO, the CFO will evaluate and optimize the finance function, integrate financial systems, develop clear accountability measures for a large team, and ensure that the board and executive team have sophisticated, detailed financial information on the financial health and performance of the organization.
In 2019-2020, the CFO will focus on continuing to integrate the centralized finance function for the merged PPGNY organization, as well as collaborating on the design of the merged service organization for the clinically integrated network. The focus for 2021 and beyond will evolve into non-profit financial leadership and health care delivery collaboration and advisement.
How You’ll Be Measured:
- Develop an Integrated, Centralized Finance Function: Build out the regional finance function, integrating and implementing optimal systems and structures for the merged PPGNY organization
- Collaborate on Design of Merged Service Organization (MSO): In partnership with the MSO committee, architect the new structure
- Financial Operations and Reporting: Ensure all financial systems, controls, and reporting run effectively while integration and MSO are completed, delivering detailed analysis and projections for the board and executive team; manage and segregate the c4/PAC financials
- Team Leadership: Develop clear accountability metrics and hold teams accountable for performance; balance enterprise and executive team leadership with team management
- Assess the Business Model: In partnership with the COO, evaluate what is working well and what is under-performing, ensuring optimized financial health of the organization
- Re-envision Inventory Control: Examine, diagnose, and optimize supply chain functionality
- Develop Culture and Equity: In partnership with the executive team, strengthen the internal culture of data and accountability with the centering and application of a race equity lens in all programs, services, and performance management
What Qualifies You:
- Deep, abiding belief in PPGNY’s mission, especially as related to health & racial equity and bodily autonomy
- Experience working in a community health context
- Significant experience leading finance in multi-site or integrated health care delivery setting, with a strong understanding of health care delivery operations and revenue cycle management
- Highly strategic and visionary, connecting finance strategy to what an organization might become
- Energized by organizational change management, growth, and integration; experience in a merger and acquisition context a plus
- Experience envisioning and/or implementing financial systems across sites
- Demonstrated ability to bring entrepreneurialism and creativity to imagine new business and revenue opportunities that are mission-centered
- Highly collaborative, fostering collaboration across departments that work symbiotically with finance
- Team player who balances executive team and enterprise priorities with team and individual priorities
- Passionate team and culture builder with track record of supporting leaders through accountability and capacity building
- Principled, unflappable leadership that centers patient communities and mission in all decisions
- Ability to maintain a sense of perspective and sense of humor through challenge, uncertainty, and change
- Experience managing or segregating c4/PAC political financials, or experience in a nonprofit or health care organization that also does policy and electoral work a plus
Application & Compensation:
This search is being managed by Axis Talent Partners. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter detailing their interest in our mission and qualifications for the position to: https://www.axistalentpartners.com/current-openings.
PPNYC's benefits package includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage options for you and eligible dependents
- Free basic life/AD&D policy with additional voluntary coverage options
- Short Term Disability, Critical Illness, and Accident policies
- 401(k) Retirement plan with 4% employer contribution after one year of employment
- Medical and Dependent Flexible Spending Account plans
- Public Transportation and Commuter Pre-Tax Reimbursements
- Generous vacation, sick, and holiday benefits
All positions at PPNYC require proof of immunization or immunity to certain communicable diseases (including influenza during the flu season) and testing for tuberculosis. These certifications are required by the NYC DOHMH Health Code, NYSDOH and OSHA.
Our Commitment to Equity & Inclusivity:
Planned Parenthood of New York City is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. People of color, people with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.