- Experience Level
Reporting to the Board of Directors, The Artistic Director (“AD”) of Dad’s Garage Theatre Company (“Dad’s”) provides leadership and vision to ensure that the organization achieves its mission, realizes its goals for artistic excellence and education, and works in partnership with the Managing Director on fundraising, marketing and public relations, and comprehensive community outreach. This individual serves as the artistic representative and brand steward of the institution (both internally and externally).
The AD is responsible for overall artistic direction, production supervision, talent development and selection, and artistic programming of the theatre. The AD is charged with ensuring quality, consistency, originality, and innovation in these areas. The AD is charged with managing all of the artist constituencies of the theatre (performers, tech, production, etc.) and key relationships, both internally and externally in the artistic and greater community.
Ideal Skills/Qualifications –
- Strong improvisation comedy experience is a must. The ideal candidate will have participated with an improv group for at least 5 years, have been paid to improvise (or teach improv), and have experience leading and directing shows generated from improv-based methods and material.
- Experience producing original works and other theatrical productions from concept to stage (and coaching others through the process), including writing and directing, for a recommended period of at least 5 years.
- Ability to provide feedback and artistic guidance to others during the development and execution stages of a production.
- Experience writing and producing short form video content for digital and social distribution.
- Management experience within a busy, fast‐paced theater with diverse constituencies.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills (both written and verbal) and high emotional intelligence, including resolving and working through conflicts, and ability to work as part of a team with Managing Director as a co-CEO, Board of Directors, and other key internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience coaching and cultivating artists and providing opportunities for growth of artistic talent pool.
- Strategic thinker who has the ability to plan for future growth and ensure sustainability, while executing day-to-day operations.
- Experience engaging in business and fundraising functions of theatre, including help set production budgets and advising on forecasts.
- Flexibility and sense of humor.
- Direct and support development of all artistic projects for the theatre.
- Oversee and supervise ongoing productions, both scripted and improv, from planning through closing as well as special events throughout the year (e.g., Parking Lot Carnival, New Year’s Eve, celebrity performances, etc.).
- Establish and oversee programming schedule and budgets of all productions with the Managing Director.
- Manage and support all artistic constituencies and serve as a resource for all artists.
- Lead and facilitate the season planning process for original works, which occurs through an open submission and voting process.
- Work to develop new talent and cultivate a diverse pipeline of artistic talent.
- Serve as brand manager, ensuring that all artistic works and public-facing materials are on-brand and in the Dad’s voice.
- Develop and grow key strategic relationships within the local, national and international community.
- Manage and evaluate new artistic opportunities and see through to execution.
- Represent Dad’s Garage within the community and in the press, locally, nationally, and internationally.
- Set and maintain cohesive artistic vision for Dad’s Garage and help execute artistic elements of strategic plan.
- Actively support the theatre’s fundraising and development efforts, including fundraising events and meeting with individual, foundation and corporate funders.
- Oversee community outreach, private gigs and corporate offerings.
- Assist in marketing and social media efforts.
- Manage conflict and mediate when necessary to find resolutions.
- Other duties as needed and/or requested by Board of Directors.
About Dad’s Garage –
Founded in 1995, Dad's Garage is an award-winning non-profit theatre company that brings in over 30,000 people a year at our new Ezzard Street home in Atlanta's historic Old Fourth Ward, public events across the continent, and festivals around the globe. Each season features original plays and world premieres created by our performers; this creates the backbone of our programming. Dad's Garage serves a younger demographic not typically served by traditional arts organizations. We introduce them to other arts organizations—such as The Alliance Theatre, Atlanta Opera, and Atlanta Ballet—through strategic programming collaborations. We have established ourselves as a “Gateway Drug to the Arts” and are dedicated to building a new generation of arts consumers.
Disclaimer: (1) the job description is not an exhaustive list of all functions the AD may be required to perform, and that the AD may be required to perform additional functions; (2) Dad's reserves the right to revise the job description at any time; (3) the AD's employment will be at-will; and (4) the AD must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and that, if requested, a reasonable accommodation may be made to enable an employee with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job, absent undue hardship.
This position is full-time, salaried, and exempt. Dad’s Garage is an equal opportunity employer.
We request all materials be submitted by end of day September 29th, but if you are reading this, please submit ASAP. To apply, submit all information here: https://www.optimizehire.org/apply-job?i=MTYwOQ%3D%3D