Senior Associate, State Policy
2 days left
- Position Type
- Full Time
Senior Associate, State Policy
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Senior Associate, Policy position supports Ceres’ policy work, with a focus on U.S. Northeastern state-level climate and clean energy policy and engagement of business and investor voices in those states. This a full-time position, based in Boston, MA. This position is designed for a highly motivated, self-starter looking to be an advocate for Ceres’ policy goals. The position will report to the Manager, State Policy.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Support the Manager, State Policy in the development of regional strategy for engaging Northeastern states in team’s overall state policy vision.
- Identify policy priorities in Northeastern states, develop annual plan for policy engagement, and execute plan
- Track key developments related to Northeastern state energy, climate and transportation policy
- Continuously improve knowledge of state-level climate, electric power sector and clean transportation policies
- Use earned media, advocacy days, national meetings, direct engagement with policymakers, and other strategies to impact state policy outcomes
- Develop and maintain relationships with external partners and in-state allies (local non-profits, communications firms, lobbyists, etc.) such as monthly state coordination calls
- Identify opportunities to leverage state policy work to recruit new company and investor advocates
- Support team leadership’s recruitment efforts with companies and investors
- Represent Ceres at conferences, seminars, and meetings
- Draft op-eds, sign-on letters, blogs, and tweets about state policy advocacy efforts
- Prepare materials and prep participants for investor and business engagements with press and state lawmakers
- Provide administrative, logistical, and writing support to the Manager and Senior Manager in recruitment of investors and businesses to engage in state level policy advocacy opportunities
- Provide logistical support for policy-related conference calls, webinars, and events with businesses and investors
- Coordinate with other program teams (such as Investor Network, Communications, Development, Electric Power and Transportation) as needed to accomplish organizational objectives.
- Support organizing and logistical activities related to Ceres’ Annual Conference.
- Support special projects of Policy team, as necessary.
- Four to five years or more of direct experience working on climate, clean energy, and/or transportation policy issues, particularly at the state level.
- Knowledge of climate, clean energy and clean transportation policies and current issues
- Demonstrated ability to bring an advocacy perspective to both analysis and corporate engagement and to make clear recommendations for actions and next steps.
- Substantial expertise on environmental and/or energy issues.
- Demonstrated project management skills of multiple, complex activities or events.
- Planning expertise and delivering projects on deadline and within time and resource budgets. Attention to detail is required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills as well as effective presentation style.
- Able to present a professional and confident demeanor with senior level professionals
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, proven ability to demonstrate initiative and motivation.
- Demonstrated initiative and willingness to take on projects that support the success of the team and Ceres.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work as part of a team and take a collaborative approach, and to deliver independent projects.
- Ability to bring a positive outlook and energetic commitment to working at Ceres on a daily basis.
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, social media and e-mail computer applications (Salesforce, Google Suite, MS Office Suite).
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.