Intern Manager and Program Coordinator
- Experience Level
About Women's Audio Mission: Women’s Audio Mission (WAM), is a San Francisco-based nonprofit dedicated to the advancement of women/gender non-conforming individuals in music technology and digital media production, a field in which women/gender non-conforming individuals are critically underrepresented (less than 5%). WAM uses music and media to attract 2,000+ women/girls a year to creative technology studies/careers, and believes that women/gender non-conforming individual's participation in creative technology will expand the voice of music/media, ensuring that women/gender non-conforming individuals's views and ideas are conveyed in popular culture.
Watch a video about WAM: http://wam.rocks/THXVideo2017
Position Summary: Reporting to the Director of Education, the Intern Manager & Program Coordinator will be responsible for WAM’s Internship Program management, Membership Program Coordination, and support of WAM’s adult classes. The Intern Manager & Program Coordinator plays a critical role in recruiting and supervising interns as they work cross-organizationally on projects and assists in job placement efforts. This position supports and reports to WAM’s Director of Education on administrative tasks connected to our award-winning training programs and collaborates with all members of the WAM staff. The ideal candidate has 3-4 years of experience in education, managing youth and/or emerging professionals, program coordination, including scheduling and overseeing volunteers or other staff and training in audio technology. The successful applicant will be someone who is passionate about WAM’s mission of advancing women and girls in the fields of music, media and technology.
Primary Objectives and Responsibilities:
Internship Program Coordination (50%)
- Facilitates the interview and selection process of interns (3 times annually).
- Implements and maintains the database to track interns.
- Leads training and orientation sessions for interns.
- Provides daily oversight and management of interns.
- Oversees day-to-day scheduling of interns and responsibilities, including covering Girls on the Mic and adult classes, studio sessions, studio maintenance, event support, and other tasks.
- Coordinates regularly with WAM staff on projects in need of support and provides supervision of interns to ensure timely and effective completion.
- Provides soft skills training and feedback (communications, professional protocols, resumes, etc.) to interns.
- Acts as point of contact for WAM’s Internship Program graduates, engaging them as volunteers, mentors, and for special professional development opportunities.
Job/Internship Placement/Career Counseling (20%)
- Acts as a liaison to companies, studios, venues, etc. that seek to hire WAM’s graduates or interns.
- Searches company websites and other job boards for possible audio opportunities and disseminates to current and past interns and students.
- Coordinates incoming career opportunities and provides support in finding interns (past and present) with matching skill sets.
- Follows up with companies to get feedback on recent placements.
- Maintains placement data in intern database.
Membership Program Coordination (15%)
- Supports Managing Director and Director of Education on organization of special programs offered at a discount to members, coordinating with select partners as needed.
- Works to increase engagement of WAM’s members through regular communication and events.
- Attends, hosts and/or facilitates events and classes as needed, especially for contract instructors and external or offsite initiatives.
- Manages member relationships and follows up on lapsed memberships, working with WAM’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.
- Manages online community forum(s), including Facebook groups, job board, and potential Slack channels to build network and resources available for members.
Educational Programs Coordination (10%)
- Drafts descriptions of adult classes and programs and assembles event assets for promotion via Eventbrite, website, social media, etc.
- Responds to questions and concerns from prospective and current students regarding classes and special trainings.
- Provides general support to Director of Education on administrative tasks relating to classes and trainings.
- Provides coordination and production support for events on and offsite as needed, including conferences, performances, studio events, and others.
- At least 3 years of program coordination experience, including scheduling, managing youth and/or emerging professionals, volunteers, and/or other staff (required)
- Experience leading and administering classes and events
- Educational background and/or equivalent experience in audio technology (required)
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Strong organizational skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written skills
Location: This position is located in Oakland and San Francisco, with regular travel throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, Oakland, and Silicon Valley with occasional travel nationally.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary in the $60,000 - $65,000 range commensurate with individual’s experience and education. All full-time employees receive a competitive benefits package.
WAM is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life to apply.
Please do not call or email about this position.