Director of Business Development/Fundraising
- Experience Level
Department: Impact & Engagement
Position: Director of Business Development/Fundraising
Reports To: Chief Impact & Engagement Officer
Direct Reports: Communications & Business Development Specialist
Position Status: Exempt
Employment Status: Full-Time, Regular
Child Care Aware® of America is our nation’s leading voice for child care. We work with more than
400 state and local Child Care Resource and Referral agencies to ensure that families in every
community have access to quality, affordable child care.
Summary of Position:
A Director of Business Development is a dynamic and creative fundraiser responsible for securing
new income, developing relationships with major grantors and sponsors, and diversifying CCAoA’s
revenue sources. The Director of Business Development will be part of the leadership team and will
work with the Executive Management Team to ensure income growth from multiple channels (individual
gifts, Board support, grants, sponsorships, seasonal campaigns). Reports to the Chief Impact &
Engagement Officer and works closely with all levels of the organization.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
• Collaborate with Executive Director and Impact & Engagement Team to develop a fundraising
strategy, timelines and goals.
• Create and execute business plan to exceed revenue goals and quotas specifically related to
growth and new income sources.
• Create fundraising opportunities through various business development techniques including
prospecting, targeted follow-up and new lead generation.
• Leverage existing revenue sources while continually generating new sources.
• Deliver organized, structured, and persuasive presentations, using effective written and
• Represent CCAoA at strategic events and actively engage in networking events and business
• Manage fiscal accountability, following CCAoA’s strategic plan, including providing accurate
monthly projections to Executive Management Team.
• Build relationships and accountability systems to ensure supporters are engaged and our
mission is clearly articulated.
• Participate in the execution of major fundraising programs such as online giving, annual
giving campaigns, and social media campaigns.
• Perform other duties or special projects as needed.
Skills and Experience:
• 10-plus years of professional experience; demonstrated success in a development function in
which the applicant was responsible for raising over $2 million per year.
• Demonstrated success in creating and executing multi-level fundraising campaigns.
• Experience in writing successful grant proposals.
• Ability to construct, articulate, and implement a strategic development plan through a
fundraising and communication lens.
• A similar experience baseline for communications as for fundraising.
• Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will
productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside CCAoA.
• High energy and passion for CCAoA’s mission is essential.
• A professional and resourceful style; the ability to take initiative, and to manage multiple
tasks and projects at a time.
• Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
• Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans
• Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict
• Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and
• Stature, gravitas, and confidence to gain the credibility and respect of high-performing
Board of Directors.
• Flexible, collaborative and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively
impact both strategic and tactical finance and fundraising, and administration initiatives.
• Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to
effectively interface with senior management, Board of Directors and staff.
• Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized.
Drive: Motivated to meet and exceed fundraising goals and quotas. Establish and maintain
collaborative relationships with sponsors to meet business objectives.
Initiative: Measure self against a standard of excellence. Undertake self-development activities
and learn new skills, seek increased responsibilities and ask for and offer help when needed.
Demonstrate the ability to work independently and collaboratively with a variety of personalities
and leadership styles.
Communication Skills: Clearly and persuasively communicate, including public speaking; listen and
seek clarifications; participate in meetings; write clearly and informatively.
Professionalism: Work well in a fast-paced environment; treat others with respect and
consideration; accept responsibility for own actions. Understand business implications of
decisions, align work with strategic goals, complete administrative tasks and develop strategies to
achieve organizational goals.
Flexibility: Able to multitask in a changing work environment. Manage competing demands and
unexpected events. Willing to change approach to best fit the situation.
Dependability: Follows instructions, takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments.
• Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree preferred in Business or related field.
Knowledge of early childhood development and related health, education, and public service systems a plus.