Associate Legislative Representative
- Experience Level
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Chicago, and Washington, DC.
This position assists in the development and implementation of legislative and administrative strategies on climate and energy priorities for Earthjustice and other issues as assigned by the Supervisor.
LOBBYING DUTIES (60%)
- Assists in development and implementation of legislative and administrative strategies relating to assigned issues.
- Directly lobby Congress and the Administration.
- Tracks legislation and policy initiatives relating to assigned issues.
- Develops lobby and education materials, including but not limited to fact sheets, letters and action alerts.
- Works with the Communications Department on occasional outreach to the media and the creation of social media blogs and op-eds on assigned issues.
- Perform policy and legislative analysis.
COALITION AND PARTNERSHIPS (20%)
- Represent Earthjustice in coalitions and with allies on assigned issues.
- Support members of PAL in community partnership objectives.
- Coordinate briefings, seminars, and informational sessions with partners as well as support partners’ traditional and social media outreach as appropriate.
INTERNAL COORDINATION/ADMINISTRATION (20%)
- Represents PAL on Earthjustice working groups related to assigned issues.
- Liaison with Earthjustice Legislative Director, relevant litigators and communications staff working on assigned issues.
- Provide assistance to other team members as requested by Legislative Director.
- Manage projects and other efforts performed on assigned issues by Assistants and interns.
- Act as a team player, including assisting other PAL lobbyists when time –pressed to complete actions pertaining to their assigned issues.
- Coordinate with other PAL lobbyists on shared legislative or cross-cutting issues.
- Ensure PAL V.P., Legislative Director and other PAL lobbyists are aware of the work you are doing that may impact them, for coordination, etc.
- Contribute to Earthjustice’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) mission through involvement in trainings and internal working groups.
- Ensure timely submission of attendance, time accounting and reimbursement requests.
- 1 year of experience in the legislative process and/or public interest work or advocacy.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in an applicable field or a JD.
- Commitment to serving the public interest, and passion for Earthjustice’s mission. Direct lobbying experience is a plus, but not required.
- Previous experience with social, economic or environmental justice communities and/or organizations is a plus.
- Basic understanding of the legislative process.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, projects and deadlines.
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills.
- Proven ability to work independently.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in Washington, DC: $78,000- $86,000
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, and resume online via the Jobvite system.
Click here to apply: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oUoYafwa&s=work_for_good
Please, no phone calls, hard copies, or drop-ins. If you're having technical difficulties submitting your application, reach out to email@example.com
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Government Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Legal Government Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Marketing / Communications Government Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Public Policy / Administration Government Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Research Government Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.