Development Specialist/Grant Writer
- Experience Level
Who we are: Mental Health Resource of Texas (dba Via Hope) is a Texas 501c3 nonprofit corporation. We have eighteen passionate staff and are currently funded by grants from a state agency and private foundations. Via Hope is an education, training, and consulting resource for individuals in recovery, family members, youth with an interest in mental health, organizations, and mental health professionals. Via Hope operates training programs for peer specialists and family partners that are approved by the Texas Health and Human Services Commission.
Introduction: Via Hope is seeking to contract with a development manager to develop, implement and monitor a comprehensive plan to diversify and expand the organization’s sources of funding through foundation, government and corporate grants; individual donations; and partnerships with allied organizations.
This is initially a one-year project with the potential of either an extension or conversion to a permanent staff position. The individual selected will report to the Executive Director and will work closely with the management team. The individual will also have staff support for day to day activities and use of office space as needed. As an independent contractor, the individual will have considerable flexibility regarding when and where they work.
· Stay abreast of current and relevant corporate and foundation priorities and giving trends, along with best practices in fundraising.
· Research grant funding opportunities, including foundation, corporate, government, and faith-based sources that align with Via Hope’s priorities and values.
· Research background data for grant applications, including social and economic issues faced by populations served by Via Hope including individuals with mental health conditions and their families, transition age youth, and justice-involved individuals.
· Manage the grant application process by developing timelines, coordinating with relevant staff, writing and editing narratives, assisting with budget development , and assembling and submitting grant proposals.
· Manage reporting requirements for all grants that are awarded.
· Prepare grant updates and related recommendations as requested to the Executive Director and management team.
· Identify and develop, as appropriate, other types of revenue sources including individual donors and fundraising activities (either event-based or online).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Experience researching funding opportunities among foundations, government agencies, and corporations.
· Demonstrated excellent written communication skills; particularly an ability to present proposals in a clear, understandable, and compelling manner.
· Demonstrated excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
· Experience developing relationships with foundation and corporations.
· Data analysis skills.
· Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a relevant major.
· Values and beliefs that align with those of Via Hope, including a strong social justice grounding and belief in mental health recovery.
· Familiarity with non-traditional revenue sources such as social impact investments.
Via Hope is committed to a workplace with diverse perspectives and experiences. We encourage persons of various racial/ethnic, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, and religions to apply for positions.