- Experience Level
JELF is seeking a high-energy Development Officer to join our team with the main focus on donor cultivation, stewardship and solicitation.This person must be able to independently manage a productive schedule and is willing to travel across our five-state territory (approx 5-8x per year). The main focus is connecting with new prospects, lapsed donors, longtime supporters, alumni and other community leaders. Most in-office time will be devoted to planning trips and local meetings.
With a growing team of professionals, JELF is continuing to make a greater impact each year -- which is why we need a self-starter who comes with sales and/or non-profit experience and can manage and prioritize their schedule independently. We believe that the opportunity to help Jewish students pursue their dreams through JELF is both challenging as well as extremely rewarding.
JELF (Jewish Educational Loan Fund) is one of the oldest continuously operating non-profits in the U.S. We provide interest-free loans for higher education to Jewish students in need. Students must be from the five-state region of Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia (excluding metro DC) but can attend the accredited U.S. university of their choice. JELF’s loans are considered “last dollar,” providing the final funds that a student needs to attend school. JELF loans can be used for undergraduate, graduate, professional and/or vocational school. Since 1961, JELF has provided 4,000+ interest-free loans totaling over $13 million. JELF has maintained a 99% loan repayment rate for more than a decade.
JELF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite you to learn more about our unique history and the important work we do at jelf.org.
JELF is seeking a talented development professional to join our growing team! We are looking to hire a high-energy individual who can connect with our growing donor base and also attract new supporters to the organization.
The Development Officer will work closely with JELF’s Director of Development and CEO to execute the team’s fundraising strategy by articulating JELF’s mission, history and impact. This role requires sales and/or non-profit experience -- front-line fundraising and a demonstrated ability to secure gifts a plus. The Development Officer will also assist with building its vibrant alumni base, which has more than doubled in recent years.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Proven track record as a front-line fundraising and major gifts, with a track record of securing gifts, identifying potential donors and stewardship.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the Jewish communities throughout the region
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, writing and editing skills.
- Familiarity with grant writing and foundation prospecting is a plus.
- Superior organizational skills, including planning, time management, flexibility/adaptability and prioritization.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and willingness to learn and utilize other software programs as-needed. Experience using fundraising software (Advance,
- Raisers Edge, Blackbaud, Salesforce, etc.) is a plus.
- Familiarity with the college application and financial aid processes a plus.
- Ability to use the utmost discretion and protect the confidentiality of JELF information and the personal information of students and their families at all times.
- Minimum 3-5 years related professional experience and proven track record in fundraising
- Bachelor’s degree required.
In addition to the above referenced duties and responsibilities, this individual is expected to:
- Demonstrate a passion for JELF’s mission.
- Participate in development and execution of JELF special events, including major fundraising events and meetings.
- Be a team player, responding to JELF co-workers and volunteers for special JELF-related requests or assistance.
- Work occasional nights and weekends (not Shabbat).
- Travel - 15-20%.