Director of Development
- Experience Level
Director of Development
Emmaus House is a community-based ministry of the Episcopal Diocese of Atlanta, located in Peoplestown and serving residents of the south side of Atlanta. In this context, Emmaus House seeks transformational change in the lives of individuals, within communities, and in the systems that shape lives. We aim to provide resources to people who live with the consequences of poverty, race inequities, and educational disparities.
Programmatically we have two primary goals: to increase educational outcomes for children and youth and to provide opportunities that lead to economic independence for families.
We work toward these goals using a two-generation approach to creating opportunities for and addressing the needs of both vulnerable children and their parents.
As a member of the senior management team, the Director of Development reports directly to the Executive Director and participates in strategic planning and budgeting.
The Director is responsible for all fundraising initiatives and activities of the organization. The current overall organizational budget is $1.2M.
Work with Emmaus House Executive Director to implement an established development strategy that includes the following:
- Research and write proposals and prepare interim and end-of-term reports on public, corporate, foundation, and faith-based grants.
- Steward donors by acknowledging donations within 48 hours of receipt;
- Keep donors informed of news about Emmaus House and related issues.
- Maintain a personal portfolio of major gift donor prospects, exercising a moves management process to identify, cultivate, secure gifts, and steward donors;
- Assist Executive Director in setting meetings with major gift donors and prospects.
- Plan and execute mail appeals and crowdfunding campaigns in partnership with our contracted marketing agency according to the yearly development calendar;
- Encourage participation in the monthly giving program;
- Implement crowdfunding campaigns.
- Oversee implementation of the annual fundraising event;
- Plan and implement annual major donor social event;
- Oversee holiday giving events.
- Serve as the principal liaison with contracted marketing agency to coordinate all aspects of communication and marketing;
- Write copy for monthly newsletters and other forms of communication;
- Keep MailChimp contact list current.
Management and Administration
- Manage the development budget;
- Keep accurate donor records;
- Reconcile Salesforce records with reports from the diocesan finance office;
- Attend Advisory Board meetings to report on fundraising progress;
- Facilitate the work of the Advisory Board Development Committee;
- Represent Emmaus House at neighborhood and community events.
Other duties as assigned.
None at this time.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience;
- 3-5 years of direct fundraising experience, preferably in a “small shop” environment;
- Exceptional writing skills;
- Experience writing grants;
- CFRE certification preferred or interest in pursuing certification when eligible;
- Demonstrated passion for place-based social service and/or education mission.
Travel necessary by automobile. Must provide own vehicle. 20-25% of time spent traveling by car and in off-site meetings. Must be willing to work some nights and weekends.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary based on experience. Excellent benefits include paid vacation and sick leave, medical and dental insurance, 401(k) contribution of 15% of salary, life and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays.
Please send cover letter and resume to Greg Cole at email@example.com.