Teacher Resident (Elementary or Secondary)
- Experience Level
We seek to attract and train, diverse, talented, equity-minded aspiring teachers to work in schools in historically underrepresented communities in Chattanooga. We will prepare you to be effective from day one through year-long, real-world experience in the classroom and cultivate you as a different kind of teacher.
We are currently recruiting individuals who desire to become teachers in the following areas:
- 6-12 Mathematics
- 6-8 Mathematics
- 6-12 Science (Chemistry, Biology)
- 6-8 Science
- 6-12 English (Language Arts)
- 6-12 History*
- K-6 Elementary Grades
What is a Teacher Residency?
Teacher residencies are the most comprehensive model of teacher preparation in the nation. Residencies play an important role in supporting district human capital strategies by creating a pathway that responds directly to the hiring needs of school districts. In addition, residencies are actively developing highly effective new teachers that are capable of impacting student achievement from the moment they enter the classroom as a teacher of record. Residencies blend a rigorous full-year classroom apprentice-ship for pre-service teachers with a carefully aligned sequence of academic coursework, through an institution of higher education (IHE). Teacher residents experience extensive opportunities to learn how to teach by working alongside a mentor teacher. Coursework is tailored to district context, with residents learning the district's core instructional initiatives and curriculum during the training year.
- 14-month graduate degree program (Masters of Arts in Teaching) from Lee University specifically designed for teacher residents who will be teaching in Hamilton County’s high need schools.
- A yearlong embedded clinical apprenticeship with a highly effective mentor teacher.
- A community of Project Inspire residents and graduates, who are committed to educational equity in Chattanooga
- 4 years of graduate support and networking after the initial program
- Possess a deep abiding passion for seeing children of color in Hamilton County Schools thrive
- Has implemented self-study around issues of race, identity, social justice, and equity
- Is comfortable with discomfort and ambiguity
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university by June 2020
- A NON EDUCATION DEGREE, (A minor in Education is fine!)
- NEVER POSSESSED A TEACHING LICENSE, OR WAS A TEACHER OF RECORD IN A CLASSROOM
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident
- Have a cumulative 2.75 GPA from your undergraduate degree (3.0 Preferred)
- Must be prepared to make FOUR YEAR commitment as a full-time teacher for Hamilton County’s highest-need schools after the residency year
- Content Knowledge requirement depending on the license; please consult www.projectinspiretn.org for more details
- Competitive Living Stipend during the residency year
- REDUCED COST MASTERS DEGREE!
- AmeriCorps membership
- Health insurance coverage during the residency year (no additional cost)
Project Inspire is a teacher residency operating through a partnership of Hamilton County Schools, Lee University, The Public Education Foundation of Chattanooga, and The National Center for Teacher Residency, and AmeriCorps.
We see a day where all kids in schools have great teachers.