Director of Development and Communications
- Experience Level
Position: Director of Development and Communications
Reports to: Executive Director
Organization: Her Justice (www.herjustice.org)
Location: 100 Broadway, 10th floor, New York, NY 10005
Her Justice (www.herjustice.org) is a nonprofit organization that stands with women living in poverty in New York City by recruiting and mentoring volunteer lawyers to provide free legal help to address individual and systemic legal barriers. Our clients come from all over New York City, and have needs in the areas of family, matrimonial and immigration law.
Responsibilities: The Director of Development and communications leads the development, implementation, and maintenance of all resource development strategies including corporate relations, fundraising and cultivation/stewardship events, major gifts, donor relations, foundation and corporate grants. S/he also oversees communications plans and strategies, including public relations, media relations, on-line giving, digital communications, key messaging and storytelling. The ideal candidate will demonstrate sound judgment, professionalism and a positive attitude; be flexible and team-oriented; and be a skilled fundraiser able to balance strategic and operational needs. Major responsibilities include:
Leadership and Management:
- Serve as a member of the executive team at Her Justice, reporting directly to the Executive Director, and serve as a key thought partner in the development and execution of organizational priorities, including strategic planning, infrastructure planning, staffing and budgeting
- Work in strong collaboration with other executive team members, to develop fundraising strategies to support agency activities and ensure streamlined budget development
- Create budgets, establish forecasts and prepare evaluations of fundraising activities for the Executive Director and Board of Directors
- Create and/or maintain and oversee development systems and structures that provide both support and accountability for the department and its activities
- Work with the Board of Directors, including the Board development committee, to engage Board members as active participants in development efforts
- Supervise, set goals with and for, and review the performance of development and communications department staff, providing strong support and guidance, and clear communication.
- Develop, manage and deliver a clearly-defined fundraising strategy, including short and long-term measurable key performance indicators and growth goals
- Oversee the foundation and corporate giving program
- Develop and oversee individual and major donor giving, planned giving, and manage and cultivate a portfolio of major individual donors
- Monitor fundraising trends in the community and region and adapt as necessary
- Oversee event staff to ensure goals are met for the annual benefit, fall event, and any and all additional fund-raising events
- Recognize the power of effective cultivation, stewardship and development, and implement relationship plans for donors of all giving levels, growing the base of individual giving for the organization
- Oversee a comprehensive communication plan to promote the organization and to keep supporters and partners informed and engaged
- Oversee brand awareness and marketing strategies for various audiences.
- Support strategies to ensure the agency “speaks with one voice” in all communications, engaging program staff where appropriate
- Direct the communications staff to ensure that all production, coordination and implementation of materials for events, program, public relations and branding are carried out via print, electronic and social media outlets
Other responsibilities include:
- Bring forward ideas for new fundraising strategies and evaluate current plans and campaigns and adjust or discontinue as appropriate
- Attend all Board meetings, Development Committee meetings, and organizational fundraising, stewardship, and cultivation events.
- Ten-years plus proven track record of success in development at one or more medium-sized nonprofit(s). Successful fundraising from multiple donor channels. Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects, including coordinating with direct reports and leadership to achieve desired outcomes and tracking and reporting on progress to the Executive Director and Board of Directors
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and storytelling ability
- Capacity to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and be diligent with appropriate follow-up and follow-through
- Ability to distill complex information into a simple, clear message using examples, stories, and data that are relevant and resonate with different stakeholders
- Ability to manage timelines and project budgets effectively
- Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with colleagues, Board members and those external to the organization. Existing familiarity with the NYC nonprofit community, and familiarity with the law firm world and legal services generally a strong plus.
- Committed to working for social justice, especially with a focus on women and/or poverty
- Resourceful and creative problem-solver, and strategic risk-taker
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical insurance, 401K plan and liberal vacation policy.
Application: Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls, please.
Her Justice is an equal opportunity employer