Children and Youth Music Director
- Experience Level
Position Purpose: The UU Congregation of Atlanta has one of the most eclectic and excellent music programs in all of Atlanta. We are seeking a part time Children and Youth Music Director. We are looking for someone with experience working with children, excellent musical skills, appreciation for many genres and musical styles, and desire to work in a welcoming, open community.
This position involves restarting a Children’s Choir (or possibly Choirs) that will meet on Sunday mornings during the services, working with our Youth musicians for special occasions, and leading music for our Children’s Chapel. The person in this position will work closely with and report to our Director of Music and Director of Religious Education.
Duties and Accountabilities: The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this job. However, these statements are not exhaustive and cannot anticipate all possible duties and requirements which may arise in the course of things.
- Create positive, inviting rehearsal environment.
- Plan, prepare and lead children's choir rehearsal on Sunday mornings.
- Lead music for our Children's Chapel services.
- Lead the children's choir in performance during Sunday services a few times a year. Dates decided well ahead of time.
- Work with youth musicians in preparation for our Youth Service and/or for special occasions.
- Send a short, weekly communication to families through our Children and Youth Newsletter.
- Plan service music and report jointly to Director of Music and Director of Religious Education..
- Work within established administrative and safe congregation policies.
- Uphold UUCA's covenants of healthy relationship.
- Experience working with Children's Choirs in a church, community or classroom setting.
- Degree in music preferred
- Strong musical skills and ability to make music in many genres and styles.
- Ability to lead songs with small groups.
- Guitar and or/piano proficiency a plus.
- Ability to communicate well with children, youth and adults.
Desired Work Hours and Other Requirements:
- On-site only on Sunday mornings, typically 9:00am to 12:15pm
- Requires the ability to move freely in and out of different small-group settings (offices, classrooms, etc).
- Successful candidate must be able to pass a comprehensive background check.
To apply for this position, send electronic cover letter and resume to Donald Milton III (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mail printed copy to:
Donald Milton III, Director of Music
Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Atlanta
1190 W Druid Hills Rd. NE
Brookhaven, GA 30329